Reyna's Sorting

Heyy! So this chapter is a little different from the other PoVs just because I figured y'all had gone over the general description what happens in the sorting enough. So, I went a little off topic here, but that's Reyna for ya! Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and byee! ~ Pen xx

The grandeur of it terrified Reyna. The others around seem to bask in the castle's glory, the essence of royalty reflecting off of its very walls as if it was living, breathing right underneath their feet. Across the hall stretched four long tables laden with forks and knives and the anticipation of a feast to come.

"Come on," hissed Remus under his breath.
Most of the first years had already filed through the massive wooden doors that guarded the celebrations, and turning up last was never a good start.

"Pfft," Reyna sniffled, but hurried forward all the same.

As the first years funnelled into the hall, Reyna's mind wandered to their boat journey here. She, restricted by the four to a boat rule, had climbed aboard a, rather leaky in her opinion, vessel with Remus and Lyra, her new found friend; Black, James and Peter claiming a second boat to themselves.

Of course, they had managed to somewhat secure the two together, creating a raft like object that didn't fail to crash into the several other first years, much to James' amusement.

The conversation had drifted, so to speak, over the topic of giant squids, or a rather a singular, enormous specimen, that was rumoured to dwell right in the very waters they were travelling over.

"I bet I could prod it and be back before Reyna here finished her tea."
"Dream on, Black," she retorted, although grinning in the darkness.
Reyna didn't believe a word.

Giant squids my cauldron, it's probably just an old witches tale.

Reyna did, however, believe she was going to have to get over that Black boy, there were other priorities she had to see to first and there was simply no time.

The topic soon turned to houses. Reyna didn't particularly mind which one she got, Hufflepuff or Gryffindor would do, and she would get in, it was in her blood.

The others, on the other hand, all had their hearts firmly set on Gryffindor and Gryffindor alone, keep for Lyra. She was far too busy fretting over her missing cat, Sandstorm. Poor thing, she hadn't seen him since she fell into the carriage on the ride here, despite looking for her during their many, ahem, excursions exploring the length of Hogwarts Express.

"BLACK, SIRIUS," boomed an echoing voice, startling Reyna from her thoughts.

She vaguely remembered the "ooohs" and "aaahs" travelling around the hall as the talking hat finished its annual song but she had barely paid attention.

Talking hat?

Reyna took a second look at the leathery, battered brown object sitting on a pedastool at the front of the room and, for the first time, fully realised the scene in front of her.

During her daydream she had travelled up the vast hall and come to a stop near the front of the group that stood facing Albus Dumbledore and an assortment of teachers. She vaguely recognised most of them from the field trips she took, far too often in her opinion, to the Ministry with her father, but the sight of the pearly white haired man sitting in front of Reyna never failed to astound her.