Amaya Lestrange

Smyley, the prefect, led them down a set of stone steps. She announced the rooms, and Amaya learnt she was in a dorm with a Gwen, Reyna, and Jasika.
She finished her little speech, and the first years filed off. However, as she was about to enter her new dormitory, someone much larger and stronger than her dragged her into an alcove in the wall and clamped a hand over her mouth. As the rest of the first year girls filed past, chattering excitedly, Amaya stood, quivering, unable to move.
"If I release you, you've got to promise to stay," a female voice whispered in Amaya's ear. She nodded vigorously. The girl let go of her, and Amaya stumbled away. The girl in front of her was tall, at least in her sixth year, but had wide, kind dark eyes. Her hair was a soft brown.

"I've got a message for you, from your brother. He's not allowed to talk to you. I'm sorry," the girl spoke in a low voice.
"I'm Andromeda Black. I... I know your brother. We're friends, I guess." Andromeda seemed to deflate slightly. "But I have a message. He says he's very proud of you for getting into Slytherin, and of how brave you were. He wishes he could explain, but he can only tell you that you won't be hearing much from him. You understand, he's doing this to protect you. He's too far down in this mess to claw himself back up, but you need to remember to stay away from the people he spends time with."

"What?" Amaya said, utterly perplexed. This girl wasn't making much sense, no sense in fact, at all. Her sentences didn't even properly match up, the terms she was using didn't match up.
The girl winced. "I'm sorry, I can't tell you more. I can't even be here. If I get anything else I'll find you." She pushed past Amaya and strode away. Amaya stood there for a moment.

What just happened? Sighing to herself, she shook her head, and stared after Andromeda. What? What? What was wrong with Rodolphus, couldn't he tell her this himself? Well, clearly not. Confusion and exhaustion and a dull anger were buzzing round her head like a swarm of bees. Was it her? Was it her being stupid, that she didn't understand? Why was Rodolphus trying to protect her? And who was Andromeda to think that she knew either of them? Should she run after Andromeda, or ask someone else about her brother? Or find him herself?

Then, calm settled over Amaya. Her brother's warning rang in her ears. Andromeda probably knew Rodolphus, she'd said they were friends. This wasn't something she could deal with right now. She'd follow the other girls, go through her information, get herself together, and continue this later. She couldn't run after Andromeda or demand information. There was no point, it would only draw attention, and she'd never get anywhere. That and she didn't want her new housemates to think she was crazy.

Sighing heavily, she rounded the corner, then stopped abruptly. There were six doors with "Girls Dormitory" painted above them on signs, in ornate lettering. What if one was full, and she had to leave because it was full and she wasn't wanted there. She'd be laughed at for the rest of the year. Holding her breath, she chose a door. The other girls were already in there. The girl with dirty blonde hair, and another girl with skin the colour of weak coffee. The last girl had her back turned. Offering a small smile, she saw that there was a spare bed, and curled up on it, sleeping, was-
"Salazar!" Amaya rushed over to the bed. At the sound of his name the cat opened his eyes. He looked at her for a moment, and went back to sleep.
"That's who he belongs to then," The blonde girl said.
"Oh, yeah, me," Amaya said awkwardly.
"I'm Gwen Bulstrode. This is...?" Gwen trailed off, glancing questioningly at the other girl.
"Reyna Lupin," said the girl with coffee coloured skin.
"Jasika Zabini," The last girl turned around. She had an elegant face, and a warm smile. Amaya immediately liked her. Her frizzy hair looked like a dark brown cloud. Jasika smiled again.
"So it's just us here?" She asked.
"Well seeing as there are no other beds, I'm assuming so," Gwen arched an eyebrow.
"Nice!" Jasika continued. "This is gonna be the best!"