Chapter Fourteen: Valentines Day

George flipped through channels aimlessly as he simultaneously scrolled through Instagram. He was bored on this cold Saturday afternoon. Justin was out with his girlfriend and his other new buddies were simply missing in action. That left George to sit on the couch with a bowl of Cheeto puffs and fruit punch flavored Arizona as he flipped through channels mindlessly.

Not only was he bored on cold Saturday, he was bored on a cold Valentine's Day Saturday. This further dampened his mood. He was alone again for the second year - the first year his ex-girlfriend, Maria could not afford to catch a flight to Washington and still have money to return back home, so they rain checked - this sucked in George's opinion.

Who wants to be alone on Valentines Day? Not George T. Mills, that's for damn sure. Yet, here he was Cheeto puff powder on his fingers and fruit punch flavored Arizona juice dripping from his lips, alone.

George groans out his frustration and scrolls through his contacts for someone to call. He has met a few girls in his classes that seemed a bit more interested in him than necessary, he figured one of them could keep him warm.

He did not know which one he would choose as he does have a variety - literally a variety - to choose from. He collects numbers just like he collects lost coins from his couch, often and abundantly.

George is not a player, not the least bit, but he goes for what he likes. If he sees a girl he likes, he goes for her and hopes to get a number.

He does find rejection every once in awhile, but he has just as many successes. It is all really just a game of cat and mouse. George loves to chase.

"Hello?" A faintly familiar voice answers.

George leans back into the sofa and smiles. He got one.

"Hey. Kendall, right? It's George." He answers Cooley.

"George?" Kendall parrots.

George rolls his eyes and inhales deeply.

"From Humanities two, I sit in front of you." He breathes, hoping to jog her memory.

There is silence from the other end before Kendall finally gasps seconds later.

"Oh shit! You're the cutie with the beautiful eyes!" She giggles. "Oh shit, I'm so fucking forgetful."

George releases another breath he didn't know he was holding. He would have been embarrassed if she did not remember.

"Yeah, yeah. It's fine. Happens all the time!" He chuckles.

"Really?" Kendall giggles.

"Nah... Just trying to make you feel better." George relaxes into the sofa.

"It may or may not have worked." Kendall flirts, her tone taking on another meaning.

George notices and smirks. He may not be alone for long.

"So what's a girl like you doing answering one o'clock calls on Valentine's Day?"

"A dickhead of an ex." Kendall sighs. "That's all I'm giving away." She recovers with a giggle.

George nodded as if she could see him and then frowned. He did not know if he wanted to deal with a girl who would come and only think about her ex. He did not want that headache. Not at all.