Chapter Thirty-Two: Aftermath of The Aftermath

George wanted to enjoy his family. All he wanted to do was relish in the fact that for once, he was not angry with his parents or his elder sister. He simply wanted to soak in all of the happiness he could in their little moment. Despite what he had felt for years, he was happy in that moment.

Well, he was before the one who encouraged him to bury the hatchet decided to dig up another one.

Evelyn's words took him by surprise. He could not wrap his head around why she would be agitated. He figured she was happy when he saw her elatedly laughing and kidding around with his parents and sister, was she not?

Apparently, she wasn't and the storm that was brewing in her head is making its official debut. Evelyn's timing could not have been any more or less terrible for George.

"What's wrong dear?" Angie questions placing a gentle palm on Evelyn's shoulder.

George watched for a reaction. He inwardly hoped that Evelyn would not make a scene. He prays that she will answer his mother's question civilly so that they can tackle the problem and move on.

She would not make this hard for him, Evelyn is not like that - is she? George had to wonder.

Evelyn did not advert her gaze from George's. She wanted him to see the seriousness in her eyes. She figured that if George is put on the spot, he would be more than willing to acknowledge and resolve whatever underlining issue he has.

He did find a successful resolution with his parents, after all, their situation is not too different.

"I don't know. That's what I need to ask George." Evelyn finally spoke, eyes still on George.

George sighs before rolling his eyes. The cat is now out of the bag. Evelyn is obviously still angry about their earlier exchange.

George promised himself that he would apologize to Evelyn later. The two obviously need to talk, but he was not expecting her to be so spiteful and bring it up in front of his parents.

George does not know whether to be angry or relieved that she is now forcing it out of him. He knew he had to act fast because all eyes were on him and the attention is definitely unappealing.

"George, what is Evelyn talking about?" Lucas speaks up this time.

Lucas firmly believes in allowing his children to fix their own problems and fight their own battles, but he knows his son. George is not the best problem solver.

Lucas feels that sometimes the boy needs a little pushing to even tell someone he has a problem, hence why George's grudge for him and his wife lasted so long, so he will happily help Evelyn solve her quarrel with his son if need be.

George exchanged a quick glance with his father before his eyes fell on Evelyn. He does not want to do this in front of his parents. It is invasive and embarrassing, but he knows he will not get out of it by simply ignoring them or refusing to answer questions.

George is stuck like a rock in a hard place.

"I don't know." He finally sighs dejectedly.

This time Evelyn rolls her eyes. She knows George is playing ignorant. She would have been surprised by his lack of knowledge of the obvious problem, but then again she remembered who she was addressing; George Mills - the asshole.

"Allow me to help you, George." Evelyn chirps turning around so that her back is against the cushions of the sofa. "George here has a problem expressing himself, as we all know, and well... I thought we could collectively help him with that." Evelyn smiles as she turns her head to look at George.