nine

Day 10 of 60

It's hot.

So hot that I can't feel my toes.

My head rolls and I slowly sit up, gloved fingers scratching the ground. I'm in my racing clothing, but they feel more different this time -- tighter. The leathered collar around my neck feels as if it's wrapping around me, forcefully and tighter by each second.

A gust of wind rustles through me and I hear the lake move. It's moving and now so am I. I'm walking towards it, the breeze is harsh, slapping against me. I stare at my reflection. Forlorn, blue stares back at me. Red and purple marks. 

I dive into the lake.

The heat is still latched onto my crevices. It won't go away. 

I swim deeper. And deeper.

The lake is no longer blue or purple or red; it's black. I can't see. I need air.

But my body's burning. My lungs are burning, and suddenly, vision and feelings are not comparable to oxygen.

I swim back up, shooting through the surface and gasping. The world is gray, so gray, lit only by a faint light of blue above me. I blink twice, rubbing my eyes and slowly making my way out the water, I realize it's not a light. 

It's a scarf. And it's blue.

But it's dangling from the tree branch.

I climb up, up and up the tree, until my toes are resting upon branches and the ground is terrifying.

But the blue scarf, how familiar it looks.

I grab it, fraying threads of wool softening against my wet hand.

Red. 

The scarf is seeping blood.

I startle myself and step back too quickly for now I'm no longer standing on the branches,

i'm falling.

___

"Ah!"

Yoongi awakens with a jolt, gasping with chest heaving. Sweat drips faintly from his forehead and his shirt clings to him like sticky adhesive tape.

Sunlight streams in through his bedroom's curtains, giving the room a fireplace glow in the late afternoon. Rubbing his eyes, he hears a voice. The blonde ruffles out his hair, carefully stepping out of his bed and bringing his ears to the door.

"Just listen! I'm fine. I-I wanted to travel so I left. Uh huh. Yeah. No, I have someone with me. No, you don't know him. Mom! Please stop worrying."

A few seconds of silence.

"Yes, I'm taking my medication. Yes, I'm doing oka--. You know what? How 'bout you stop treating me like a kid?! I've been trying to make you understand for the past hour and you're acting as I'm gonna die today!"