Chapter Five

AT PRECISELY EIGHT O'CLOCK THE NEXT MORNING, Maddie was tying the last of her laced boots as she waited for Alex to arrive. A flicker of hope in her heart suggested he'd never come, that she'd dreamed of the previous day's events. Maybe then her life would prove to be a little less hectic.

Albeit, there was a ring at the doorbell, and Maddie found herself to be sort of pleased with the idea of having company.

Walking to the door, a sense of unease began to creep its way into her stomach. Having twisted and turned the whole night in her bed had sprouted various questions – were her parents ever going to come back? Was she going to school, despite the events of last night? Or would she be going on a legitimate mission to God-knows where?

Maddie unlocked the door, grabbing her purse and shoving a shimmery white beanie down her head as she greeted Alex with a small sarcastic wave, mocking delirious excitement.

This made Alex smile a little, as if consumed by Maddie's joy towards his presence. He stood by the car door in greeting.

"You know," Alex began, "This would've been a lot easier if Sonia had just sent you some more Sakai powder. You know, the glittery dust stuff that barged past your window the other day?"

Maddie rolled her eyes. "Yes, I'm familiar with the term."

They both clambered inside the vehicle, plopping onto the plush seats. Alex began the engine and reversed from Maddie's lawn. Snow soon began to run down the windows, and driving was becoming even harder. It seemed it would take longer than an hour to arrive at the Department of Magical Inconveniences.

"In case you're wondering, we often just call it the MIC. Magical Inconveniences Centre." Alex said.

Maddie's eyes narrowed with suspicion as she turned in her seat to face him. "Don't tell me you read minds too."

Barking out a laugh, Alex shook his head. "No, that's just Sonia. I just thought you'd like to know that most people call it the MIC, in case you get confused later on."

Nodding, Maddie's eyes traced the window. The snow blanketed the grass in shining slabs of ice, the windows misting with milky condensation of the morning fog.

Alex shifted uncomfortably in his seat, tapping the steering wheel in an anxious trance. Turning to Maddie, he frowned, creases forming between his brows and curling towards a chestnut strand of hair which gleamed in the light.

"Maddie... What happened that night?"

Maddie's eyes widened a fraction in surprise, before returning to their normal state. She should've known it would come up, sooner or later.

"Nothing, Alex." she muttered lowly, slouching down in her seat, an inconspicuous attempt to appear as if she was dozing off.

"Madison, you have to tell me-"

"I can't!" Maddie snapped, her voice raised. Alex flinched. Realizing her mistake, she sobered to a more tranquil state of mind and a softer tone.

"I'm sorry." she mumbled hastily, attempting to mask her embarrassment. "I just can't."

Alex remained silent. The drive seemed to go on for hours, Maddie thought, and it was likely that it had. Eventually, they reached the glass building, with luscious green moss and exotic spring blooms curling up the walls, called the MIC.

Upon entering, Maddie  realized there were much more people here than she had originally thought. She and Alex passed an assembly of young magicians, each giggling as they swished their fingers and muttered the required words.