Chapter Eight

MADDIE STARED AT THE SWINGING DOOR of the bathroom, as one last lock of Elle's hair flew past in her peripheral vision. The washrooms were empty now, and the bursting seams of her heart had been tightened like the laces of a corset.

In a matter of moments, she would have completely fallen apart. Maddie could see it as clearly as crystal – her, with her muffled sobs into her hands, as Elle soothed her with sweet condolences.

However, it was obvious that Elle did not want to be in that stance anymore. She must've grown sick of comforting a girl who would never show the slightest of gratitude.

A girl like Maddie, one who, with the glossy lips and sun kissed makeup, would never once show any kindness to the ones below her.

Maddie wasn't sure she was that girl anymore. Now, all she ever thought of was what it would have been like, if only she hadn't been that way.

Could she have made friends, ones who loved her, aside from the mask she wore? Or would they tear down her sparkling legacy, conquering the throne?

So scared, Maddie was. It was too late to seek these people, after so many years of dirty politics, games, gossips, commands. She was their queen. How on Earth could she be like a true friend?

Dismal, Maddie pushed open the doors and stepped into the hallways. Her bright sandals slapped against the polished floors as she reached her classroom, quietly opening the door and sitting back down. Her desk, at the back of the class.

Whispers flew through the classroom like astray birds, fluttering right to the ends of the room until they reached right before her. She's back. I think she's gone insane. Did you see her? She was sobbing.

After Maddie had scribbled down some notes on the Egyptians, the bell sounded. She shoved her books in her shining bag, pushing past the buzzing students to her locker.

Alex caught up with her, grumbling something about ignoring a magician and how bad things would happen.

Just then, something did happen. As Maddie shoved her books inside, the grey locker slammed shut of its own accord, her key wiggling out of her grasp and floating in mid air. It dangled above her auburn locks as she reached to snatch it back. She turned to Alex in shock.

"What was that?" she asked, as he shoved his hands in his pockets. They were tingling all over, the magic pouring through his veins like a bubbling potion that had been tipped out of a cauldron. Suddenly, Maddie spotted his glowing fingers through the fabric of his pants.

"Was that you?" Maddie shrieked, almost dropping her books. Alex grinned, bringing a slightly-less-radiant-than-before finger to his lips. "Hush. We wouldn't want everyone to find out, now would we?". Maddie's eyes widened, and a small grin tugged at her lips.

Maddie pointed at his hands. "You're fingers are still glowing," At that, Alex shook his hands until the moon-like light died out, fading into his warm skin. "Was that... a spell?" Maddie whispered, keeping a hand affront her lips and making sure no one else could hear.

Alex nodded, once again joining his tingling fingers. He muttered, "Anoigó." and suddenly the key flew to the keyhole, gleefully twisting and turning, until the dull locker swung open itself.

Again, Alex's hand began to glow. With another small mutter, he blew out the dancing light of his skin, and this time it died down much faster than before.

Looking up to Maddie's awe-filled expression, he let out a laugh. Maddie glanced at the chattering students walking around. None of them seemed to notice all the commotion, or pay Alex's antics a second thought.

Maddie snatched her locker key from the keyhole, adjusting her bag and pushing Alex to the glass doors that led outside. They huddled beneath a humongous tree as Maddie pulled out sandwich.

"How did you do that?" she asked. There were people looking now, but she didn't care anymore.

"It's all in your mind," Alex chuckled. "Use the power of your mind to awaken your magic. It might be different for you, since you're cursed, but all magic should work the same. Give it a go."

Maddie rolled her eyes at the word "cursed", but shut her eyes and focused anyways. Wake up. Come.

Two seconds later, the magic hadn't. Alex's eyes glittered like a star with amusement. "Keep going, Maddie. It took me days at first." he encouraged, moving his hands along and gesturing for her to go again. This time, tranquility seeped inside her mind at the reassurance. Focus. Wake up.

Wake up.

It was then that the warmth blossomed onto her skin, the twinkling control blooming at her fingertips. Magical bliss filled her like the ethereal, foamy waves of an ocean's shore, flowing from her toes towards the horizon, the pinkish hues of the sun, her heart. It filled her, swimming in her veins and hydrating her soul.

Maddie's fingers too began to glow. Pressing her fingers against the ground, she dug her fingers into the soil, and the cobalt, fizzy electricity from her fingertips sent shocks into the earth, until a small seed formed from the light of her fingers. In the blink of an eye, it bloomed into a spring flower, with petals like the early morning sky.

Alex's eyes widened. "How did you do that?"

Maddie furrowed her brows, biting her lip. Unnerved, she reached a quivering finger to touch the flower. It's stable stem felt strong, and the scent of rain lingered in her senses, an aura of another world all stuffed inside a single flower.

When she pulled her hand away, the scent, the aura, the feel, was gone. Back to the stem her fingers reached, and she heard the rushing of waterfalls, and she felt the soft earth below her, and she breathed in the damp, fresh morning air.

She pulled away, and it was gone again.