Chapter Twenty

"Frick," Violet muttered, her gaze glued to the two millionaires sprawled on the floor. "We have to leave, now!"

The BSM who was accompanying them grunted out a response. "Or we could throw their bodies in the river."

"Don't be ridiculous," Katya rebuked. "They're not even dead yet. Before we know it, they'll be awake!" she hissed lowly. "Violet's right - we should leave before someone sees us."

Big Spy Man shook his head. "If we leave now, they'll remember what you two looked like. How'd you like getting thrown in jail before even retrieving the elixir?"

"Fine," Violet relented. "Just use the mist! They won't be able to remember what happened. Oh, maybe clean the blood off of their suits?"

Meanwhile, back at their table, the others wondered what had happened. Violet had left for the bathroom approximately ten minutes ago, and Katya had followed around the same time. Big Spy Man number one had accompanied her, so nothing could've happened, right?

"Why are they taking so long?" Annika asked, looking up at the others as her gaze abandoned the crook of her lap. Beside her, Leah's fingertips reached out towards her pristine plate as she mumbled incoherently in agreement.

"Guys, Annika's right. Something could have happened to them by now," Leah urged as she swallowed down a cream puff. "We have to make sure they're alright."

"I'll come," Asher chimed. "Alex, Maddie, stay here. If anyone approaches you, just be your regular charming selves. We'll be right back."

Maddie sighed, her eyes flitting towards Alex as he shot her a reassuring glance. They'd done this before: gluing on fake smiles and shaking the hands of people whose names they couldn't remember. If anyone was suited to a game of poker face, it was them - so they waited whilst the others sought out Violet and Katya.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the hall, Asher caught the two girls in his peripheral vision. He whirled around and found them huddled near the restrooms, leaning over something, or someone, on the ground.

Before he could call out to them, Violet raced towards him. Her golden hair whipped behind her as she approached him, raising a finger to her glossed lips.

"Don't make a sound," Violet frowned as she led them towards the two men lying on the floor. Leah, Annika, and Asher all shot each other a look of disbelief.

"Not even an hour in and you knocked someone out?" Annika hissed under her breath. Katya sent her a warning glance as she wiped the last of the blood off of their shirts.

"Now is not the time or the place. We'll tell you later, but right now we have to leave." Katya muttered. Without arguing, the group managed to worm their way past the crowd towards Maddie and Alex. Silently, they ushered for them to get up.

Maddie and Alex rose hesitantly. After they'd all huddled past the exit, Alex began his firing of questions. Violet told them everything: how the two men had drunkenly stumbled towards her and how the BSM had rushed to her defense.

"There, now you know. Forget anything ever happened and let's go." she finalized.

Still lingering outside the hotel was unsettling her, as if the police would be whirring towards them any second. There was no way she'd allow herself to be publicly accused of attempting to hurt some wealthy diplomat - their entire mission would be in jeopardy.

After they'd huddled into a corner on the street, Big Spy Man number one pulled out a jar of Sakai. It twinkled in the darkness, a luminous glow spilling from the glass and casting dim shards of light on the street.