Chapter Nineteen

The next morning, Alex's sock-clad feet slid down the carpeted landing of the hotel towards Maddie and Leah's room. His knuckles tapped the door for a moment before the door swung open. Maddie greeted him with an irritated glance, her hair thrown up in an unkempt bun.

"Be quiet, Alex. Leah's still sleeping." The words tumbled out of her mouth in a hushed whisper, her head tilted towards him so he could hear her.

A maroon sweatshirt hung on his chest, his legs clad in black sweatpants and his ruffled hair signaling slumber. Within a matter of seconds, a smirk curled onto his lips as he gestured towards the card in his hands. It was cream-colored, embroidered with golden lines on the borders of the page.

"Look what I found in front of my door last night," Alex let out with a slight chuckle. "It's our first renaissance party in Venice."

A small hint of glitter in Maddie's electric blue eyes shone in the shaded light. "You're joking. Show me!" she muttered, her fingers reaching towards the invitation.

It was sent from a foreign advisor of the government, who briefly wrote of his delight at the news that Sonia, a dear friend, had sent young American citizens to study his work on diplomatic affairs. Her eyes skimmed the printed text before she lifted her gaze expectantly at Alex.

"So that's her cover story? We're here to observe politics?" said Maddie, a concerned frown gracing her features. "I don't understand why we even needed one. They weren't supposed to know we were on official business!"

Alex sighed. "I said the same thing. She practically shone the light on us for all of them to catch, but she said-"

"Is she setting us up!?" Maddie hissed. A flash of concern crossed Alex's features.

"Listen to me, Maddie," he said in a hushed tone. "I asked her about it, and she said she didn't have a choice. They contacted her as soon as we arrived at the airport. I guess the lady at immigration must've tipped us off."

Maddie let out a weary sigh, a tinge of relief studding her prior suspicion. "Great, so now the officials know."

"No," Alex drawled. "They think we're studying negotiation, remember? All she saw was some angry American teenagers with bodyguards. They probably think we're living on trust funds from our cabinet fathers. Why would they suspect us?"

Leah suddenly peeked out from behind Maddie, narrowing her eyes at Alex. "What's going on?" she grumbled. Blush strands of hair escaped her feeble attempt at a ponytail and framed the sides of her face.

"We'll meet you downstairs in ten minutes. All of you." declared Alex. His words combined with retreating footsteps rung in Leah's skull, her eyes desperately avoiding any traces of sunlight that basked the halls.

In a matter of time, they were seated in a discreet corner of the dining area, munching on a zesty lemon tart named crostata.

It wasn't yet known if Leah was actually conscious, and Katya had been surprisingly tolerant when Alex'd demanded she met them all for breakfast. Annika remained silent, Violet and Asher engaging in faint conversation.

Maddie's fingers thrummed the edge of the table, sudden apprehension growing thorns in her lungs. She prayed they'd turn to roses, a wistful dream at the time.

"So," Katya addressed. "Why are we here?"

Alex cleared his throat. "We're going to an event," Asher intervened, his gaze lifting from his plate as he leaned back into his plush seat. "We've been invited to a gala."

"From who?" Annika wondered. "For what reason?"

"It's a friend of Sonia's who thinks we're here to study politics. As far as we know, they're not aware of what we're really here for. They might be suspicious, but it's not like we can hide it much longer." Maddie said.