Chapter Fourteen

Maddie stood there, frozen, as a flash of regret burned her cheeks scarlet. The tubs had since thumped onto the ground with a bang, mountains of ice cream pooling around her black heeled boots. Leah stood there, sopping in a dozen fruity flavors of rainbow dessert, as she spluttered out a string of profanities.

"You little–" hissed Leah, before another drop of mint chocolate chip dribbled down to her lips. "Ugh!"

As much as Maddie wished she'd hadn't been so hasty to lose her temper, she couldn't hold back a snort at the sight in front of her. Leah's uniform was completely ruined, and you couldn't even tell what color her hair was from all the ice cream and sorbet piled on top.

"Stop. Laughing." she growled, grabbing a paper towel from a nearby shelf and scrubbing at her face. Her cheeks burned so severely it was almost as if she was emitting a ruby light.

"I can't believe you. I was only testing you, you idiot!" she shrieked, voice muffled by the towel she was so vigorously wiping herself with. "Sonia totally owes me. Oh my gods."

Maddie backed away from the myriad of flavors pooling merely inches from her feet with a disgusted grimace. "Yeah, right. Testing me? For what, anger issues? I don't need therapy, you know–"

"Huh," Leah let out with a scowl. "Yeah, I thought it was stupid too. Blame Sonia. Old hag is always up to something."

Maddie let out a groan, pulling at the locked door handle in an effort to leave. Every time she turned her head, Sonia was up to something. Why did she know so much? Where she lived, what she was doing, what went on at parties. The only thing she didn't know was what Lucian had done. And she wouldn't be in the dark about that for much longer, either; chances were, everyone had found out.

"Sonia is being ridiculous. I don't need any therapy, and I don't have any issues." Maddie said, fiddling with the handle once more. Outside, she could hear the constant clinging of the door bell, and she wished she could be one of the reasons why it rung. Camille and Elle chasing her there had only made her want to leave, and now this had happened too.

"Not so fast, Mean Ole Maddie. You aren't going anywhere while there are still a million different flavors dripping on me." taunted Leah.

Maddie sent her an icy glare. "If I help you clean up, you tell me what else Sonia is doing, and then, I get to go."

"Alright," Leah said, rolling her eyes. "But you don't always get to call the shots. You don't play fair. Do you usually have everything go your way?"

"Yes, I do."

"Don't get used to it." Leah muttered, grabbing another handful of tissues and throwing them onto the ground.

"Don't order me around, either." Maddie murmured in exasperation.

Once again, Leah rolled her eyes, and ignored her. Crouching down, she started scrubbing at the floors with a sponge, and in a few minutes, for the first time in her life, Maddie was holding a mop.

"Do you really expect me to–"

"Yes."

With a groan, Maddie set to awkwardly rubbing the mop on the floor, whilst Leah continued her scrubbing. It took a five full minutes of wavering tension before they'd finished, and Maddie threw the mop to the side with a shiver.