Chapter Twenty Four

Katya's eyes shot towards the floor, feigning blissful ignorance. If they truly were being watched, darting, incredulous glimpses at passing civilians would only make them seem more vulnerable. As inconspicuously as she could, she heeded a patent warning.

"Whatever you do, do not look around for cameras like you're on The Office. It'll make it even more evident that you're a group of uncultured, inexperienced teenagers with no clue of what to do." she said this all with her gaze still calmly fixated on the silky water.

At a distant glance, it might have seemed as though their eyes were screwed shut from drowsy idleness and inertia. In reality, Annika and Violet were attempting to rid themselves of crawling fear. It was the deadly kind; slowly submerging them within an endlessly darkening sky, before yanking them out and abruptly flinging them into a state of oblivion.

Meanwhile, Maddie felt that their constant lingering fear was, at this point, abominable. After being fully aware of what they could do, they were still afraid of lumbering old men and puny mortals. (She'd been hiding from Lucian hours ago, but she digressed.)

"What exactly are we afraid of, again?" Leah piped. "We're stronger and have allies we don't even know of, resting and revitalizing all over Europe before they intervene. Does Sonia completely shut you guys out or something?"

A ghost of a smile appeared on Katya's lips. "Finally - someone who's not a wuss. Keep in mind this mission has been years in the making, our powers drawn from the rarest depths of magical bloodlines. Don't forget you are more than a mortal, and always will be."

"Hey!" Asher protested. "Speak for yourself. Alex and I have been working at the MIC for longer than all of you combined. We were simply letting you know so you wouldn't freak if someone tried to assassinate us."

Yea right, Maddie thought. You looked like you'd woken up from death two minutes ago.

Violet narrowed her eyes at him and his flaunting outburst. "I thought we were being watched?"

Asher's lips rose into a playful smirk. "We are."

"What she's trying to say is stop exposing us," Alex pointed out, a broad smile playing on his sharp features. His soft, empty green eyes surfed the water before reaching Maddie. A small glint of affection glimmered in his eyes as she met his gaze. A nonchalant expression rested on her face, which Alex continued to stare at for the next twenty seconds.

Maddie shook her head with an amused, velvety laugh. Distant golden lights engulfed her in a warm cast of blurred amber as she turned away from his burning stare.

Soon, the golden haze edged closer. They were nearing the hotel now, and unlike last time the boys quickly swept the shopping bags up into their arms before striding across the cobblestone floors. All of them went upstairs together, escorting each other to their rooms.

Surprisingly, no one attempted to kill them before they went to sleep that night.