Letter 10

Rory,

You are probably on your way to pick me up from the airport right now because you have always been too punctual for Perry and I's liking.

Remember when we threw Caleb a surprise part for his 12th birthday? We decided to have it at Perry's house so he wouldn't figure it out. We planned for weeks, the three of us sitting in a circle on my bedroom floor pouring over plans and figuring out how we were going to afford this.

Caleb and Violet were going to go see a movie so we had time to set up but it was sold out. They decided to walk back to Perry's house because Violet assumed we'd be ready by the time they got there.

They walked in right as we were setting up even though mostly everyone was already there because I was late picking up the cake and Perry couldn't figure out how to fit 15 chairs around the tiny table in the backyard.

Caleb still seemed surprised but we were so disappointed.

You said, "if you guys did things early instead of last minute this wouldn't have happened."

Perry pushed you and said, "shut up, Dad," and I rolled my eyes and laughed and it was carefree and fun. It was fun to annoy each other and to point out each other's flaws.

When did we lose that? When did we lose the playfulness?

Was it after Caleb's accident? Was it before? Was it when everything got too heavy?

Can we ever get back to where we were before?

I want to feel that lightness again and I hope that taking this step will help.

I can't wait to see you but I am so terrified to see you.

-Stella