Chapter 5 - OWLs And Expulsion

The final exams for the fifth years was fast approaching, and where most of the students found themselves up late at night in the common rooms studying or else in the libraries catching up on readings they didn't complete, one student sat at the stands watching the Hufflepuff Quidditch team practice for their last game against Slytherin.

"Honestly Newt, shouldn't we be studying?" Octavia sighed as her book pages were blown about by the wind.

"We've been studying plenty." Leta Lestrange hissed as she watched the team train, analysing their movements.

"I wish I was better on a broom..." Newt marvelled as the Hufflepuff beater swung his bat at a nearing bludger.

"Predictable..." Leta muttered to herself and took another note on her piece of parchment.

Leta Lestrange, though an outsider was an exceptionally talented Chaser, and her love for Quidditch had rubbed off onto Newt. Despite, Hufflepuff being his house he had always cheered Leta on, though never wearing green and silver, mostly at the distaste of Octavia. She had always told him that it clashed awfully with his eyes, and that Hufflepuff yellow or even Ravenclaw blue looked better on him. The three of them spent the morning before exams watching the Hufflepuff team's training session. Octavia did her best to read over her notes, Leta was carefully watching for Hufflepuff strategy and Newt simply sat their in awe.

It had happened during their Charms practical, the terrible noise of screams echoed throughout the castle and reached the Great Hall where they were undertaking their exams. Everyone had paused to hear what was happening but hastily quickened to continue with their wand work. The next thing that happened was the greatest surprise, and though he and Octavia promised to see the end of that exam through together, without hesitation Newt had dropped his wand and ran out of the examination. Octavia made quickly to follow after him but was held back by her examiner. The ruckus continued throughout her exam but died down all of a sudden. She worried for Newt, what was making students scream and why was Newt so quick to run to the site.

"Ms Smith, if you'd like to come with me." her Transfiguration professor, Dumbledore, was waiting for her at the end of her exam.

"Yes, sir. But why?" she asked her mid coming to the worst of conclusions.

"If you'll follow me." he replied gravely.

They walked in silence towards the headmasters office and professor Dumbledore had told her to wait outside while he went in. However, long she waited it felt like a lifetime as she waited outside the large doors. Unfortunately, it was not a silent passing of time as she could hear the voice of Headmaster Dippet through the crack in the door.

"Really Dumbledore? Because of him students lives were in danger!" The headmaster thundered.

"Yes, but I believe-" Dumbledore began.

"Evidence suggests otherwise, he has even accepted his fault. We have no choice but to expel Mr Scarmander."

Her heart dropped, and her eyes burned with tears threatening to spill over. Newt was going to be expelled, and she knew there was nothing she could do about it. She may never even see him again. The doors burst open suddenly and Newt walked forwards, upon seeing Octavia he averted his gaze, hiding behind his fringe, but her sniffles caught his attention and he made the connection.

"You heard?" He asked timidly, and she nodded, "Octavia I'm- I'm so sorry..." he whispered, guilty with the tears he had caused her.

"I- I-" she hiccoughed and looked up at him, her first tears rolling down her cheeks.

"I'll have to tell Leta..." he made to move forwards but was stopped by Octavia's embrace.

"It was her, wasn't it?" she cried into his shoulder, "Newt why did you take the blame?"

"It was mine, she just-" A fresh wave of tears flooded his shoulder at his defence of Leta.

She let go of him, realising she had mistaken her place. He had not even returned her hug in her moment of vulnerability. Hastily she wiped her face dry on her robes before deciding that it was now or never. Quickly she pressed her lips to his and as the moment happened she pulled away. The expression on his face told her that he was surprised but that he enjoyed it.

"W-Wait, Octavia!" He shouted as she made to run away down the stairs.

"Newt?" she turned around her face still glossed with tears.

"Do you... Did you... No, do you like... Like me?" He asked finally understanding all her hidden messages in their shared moments.

She stared at him, as he finally realised how she felt for him before smiling weakly. "Like you?"

"Yes? Do you?"

"Just a smidge."