Chapter 16 - Needed Explanations

They were safe. Octavia offered they stay in her shop, as she had made sure that it was unplottable, even to MACUSA. However, Newt insisted that they find higher ground so as to get a better view of the city. The last hours events were filled with the adrenaline of evading MACUSA again, and the capture of Newt's final creature. They were safe, and so were the fantastic beasts inside his case. A moment of peace had finally rested upon them ever since Newt arrived in New York, yet it would soon be over.

Octavia had waited on that rooftop for what felt like forever. She felt bad that she had left Newt down in The Blind Pig, she was ashamed that he knew she couldn't face her fears. For as long as she could remember, she was terrified of goblins. Octavia insisted the reason was an incident that happened on her first trip to Gringotts, but just thinking about it made her shiver uncomfortably. Reviewing what had happened in The Blind Pig, she just realised how terrified she was, latching onto Newt's sleeve and walking very closely to him, before finally at the sight of Gnarlack, grasping his hand and squeezing it tightly, showcasing her immense terror.

Before long she began to worry about Newt and the others. They were taking a while, had something happened or were they in the process of catching his last creature. She knew she wouldn't dare go back to The Blind Pig to check if they were still there, and New York was a large city, she couldn't search it in a night without a basis as to where they could be. Silently praying that they would return to the same rooftop, she sighed and sat down folding her legs. All the while nervously rotating her wand.

"How do you know Credence?" Tina's voice called out behind her, she didn't even hear them arrive, as apparating usually creates a loud 'crack' or 'snap' sound.

"Oh... I-" she stammered, holding back her urge to embrace Newt for she had been very worried.

"And why weren't you there when we were catching his creatures?" Tina jabbed a finger in Newt's direction, it seemed she was about to ask more questions if Newt hadn't stepped in.

"Save it for inside the case." he said simply, almost trying to be assertive, gesturing for all of them to get inside his magical case once more.

"I'm terrified of goblins, I left while you were all in The Blind Pig." Octavia explained to Tina, shuddering at the name of the horrid place.

"And Credence?" Tina pushed on her questions, though raised her eyebrows when Octavia had expressed her fear.

"He used to come to my shop. I'd heal him, of course, I always told him that his other adopted siblings were welcome to come for healing to. For a while they did, but I don't know something happened... And well, I never saw him in my shop again." Octavia retold her story, and Tina grew slightly annoyed at her friends use of magic in front of No-Maj's.

"But-" Tina began, but once again was interrupted by Newt.

"Tina, I think that's enough questions. I'm not sure if you knew, but Octavia isn't very talkative." Newt rolled his eyes at his last statement, he knew that if you could give Octavia a topic she was passionate about she could talk for an eternity, the same went for him.

Octavia gives Newt a grateful look before bowing her leave and making her way to the Graphorns. She sighs, the magnificent creatures are busy playing, but it leaves her time to think alone. Ever since she had seen Newt in her shop, and what they have been through together in this short time, she has been experiencing various emotions. Excitement, nostalgia, and though she wouldn't dare admit it, for fear that it would destroy their rekindled friendship. She shuddered at the thought, as though trying to repress it, but it must have been love for her to focus so much on the conversation Newt was having with Queenie.

"Please don't read my mind." Newt says, busing himself with his buckets.

"You two were really close, huh?" Queenie continues.

"Sorry, I asked you not to." Newt sighs, almost looking frustrated.

"I know, I'm sorry, I can't help it. People are easiest to read when they are hurting." she said simply, and Octavia knew of whom they were talking about.

"I'm not hurting, anyway she's in the past." Newt said, his tone implying that the matter was dropped.

"No, your hurting because she is here, in the present, and your heart is torn two ways." Octavia turned to face Newt, trying to read his face, for Queenie couldn't possibly be suggesting, he couldn't.