Chapter 20 - Fantastic Beasts

"Octavia?" He barely manages a whisper, and she's lucky that despite the distance she had placed between them again his voice reaches her ears.

"Ill be fine, it doesn't matter anyway. What's done is done." She sighs, a voice riddled with guilt for making him feel the way he does.

"But, it's my fault... Octavia, I'm so sorry." He finally looks her in the eyes again, and is met with two stormy grey ones, her face as smooth as any other day.

"Don't be, something far worse could have happened." She looked away as her own fears flickered in her mind, the pain of Credence's death being almost washed away by her own thoughts.

If she had done nothing, he could have died and she would never have forgiven herself. This was the only way to ensure that death didn't claim two people that night, and in times of war it's impossible for no one to be left unharmed.

"Ooft, sorry!" Someone had bumped into her, specifically Jacob.

In his hands he held Newt's case and seemed a little puffed out. They stood there for a moment in a bit of silence, and Octavia had to reach for her face to be sure she hadn't revealed her injury to him. She felt smooth skin, but it was as thin as paper and when she applied some more pressure she could then trace the distorted lines of skin.

"Get out of my head, Queenie."

Jacob had shuffled off to return Newt's case, and in that moment Octavia's thoughts were shuffled around as though someone were flicking through a draw of important files, the presence in her mind was familiar and looking up she found Queenie peering at her curiously.

"Well, it's difficult to read but I know something's wrong sweetie. The look on your face doesn't help." She sat down beside her and looked the British witch in the eye.

"Is this better?" Octavia smiled reassuringly, putting up another layer to her facade.

"Now that would be, were it genuine." Queenie laughed, causing Octavia's lips to twitch upwards. She then stood up, resting her hand on the witch's head, before disappearing somewhere behind her.

A loud screech and a sudden breeze caught Octavia's attention, and spinning around her eyes widened at the sight of Frank in the subway. The Thunderbird seemed to be facing something, something she could not see out of her blinded eye, turning to get a better view she found Newt holding the creatures head in his arms, a forlorn and saddened expression on his face.

She really needed to start paying attention to things going on around her, especially now since she was weakened and more vulnerable. She witnessed Newt throw a small vial with a glowing blue liquid at the creature and watched it ascend into the sky, a storm brewing under its wings.

"Newt? What are you doing?" She asked, having walked closer to him he jumped at her sudden words.

"Making New York forget what happened," he smiled at her from underneath his silly fringe but in a matter of seconds his face fell. "Please, don't hide it from me..."

Without really knowing what had overcome her she brought her hands to his cheeks, lifting his head so that they could meet each other's eye. Her hands lingered there as she took in the time to truly commit his face to memory.

"And have you feel all the more guilt?" She questioned, concerned for how he was holding up with all that had happened.

"No. Because I don't want you lying to me." He looked at her, and smiled when he found that she had responded to his request quickly. He brought his other hand to her face, caressing and getting a feel of the scar she had taken from him. At his touch she winced but leaned her head into his palm further.