Chapter 19 - Powerless To Die

Silence echoed around for only a second before Credence exploded into his Obscurial form, lashing out in a rage at Graves, the black tendrils clawing at anything and everything in the subway. Worried for his own sake Newt leaped out of the way, apparating to a safer alcove in the subway. His eyes darted about, looking around to see the situation, but he froze  in fear as his eyes latched onto Octavia's limp form from across the tracks.

He still couldn't erase the memory of her screams from his mind, but now she lay still and unmoving, and if he didn't do anything the Obscurial might just kill her. If she wasn't dead already.

With an immense disregard for his own safety Newt ran towards her, avoiding the wisps of black as they violently reached out for things. He quickly pressed his head to her chest, resting his ear over her left breast only to hear the faint beating of her heart, simultaneously apologising for being so close to her chest without her permission.

She seemed unharmed but something was washing over her, flickering between two different looks. The strangeness of her appearance concerned him, but he couldn't quite place what would have caused such a response from her unconscious form. Regardless he didn't have the time to think about it and instead held her tight in his arms and apparated her to safety.

From his new viewpoint Credence leaped into the air, before coming down with immense speed and force for the finishing blow upon Graves who lay, cowering, on the ground.

"Credence! Stop!" Tina shouted, whether she arrived just then or waited for the right moment Newt would never know but it seemed, miraculously, Credence had paused to listen.

***

Octavia woke, her everything hurt and the sounds of voices reached her from somewhere she could not see. What hurt most of all was her right eye, and bringing her hand she felt the sensation of misshapen skin and dried blood. She didn't need a mirror to know what had happened to her, and so she resolved to change her image to something healthier, something prettier. Scrambling to her feet she rushed out of the stairs she was lying in and found herself mere seconds before a cascade of spells were to befall Credence.

"Protego!" She yelled, her spell pathetic compared to the last enchantment she cast.

It managed to stop some of the spells aimed for Credence, but the rest punished his dual form, his scream just as painful as hers moments ago. And all of a sudden what remained of Credence exploded into nothing, black wisps falling limp to the ground only to then disappear. Tears began to form about her eyes, and she looked away in sadness and guilt.

But something captured her attention, a movement that seemed calculated nearing the open ceiling. Looking at it she found one of the black tendrils escaping over the threshold. It had to be a surviving fragment of something. But the question, Credence or the Obscurus?

Unfortunately in her moment of thought she remained completely oblivious to the events taking place before her. As Newt would have said all those years ago, "she's thinking, best leave her to it." The strange habit had been there forever, yet there was nothing she could do about it. However, unlike usual she snapped out of it when the figure of Grindelwald sat metres away from her. His arms were trapped behind some sticky substance that came from one of Newt's creatures, a hideous butterfly that intrigued her so.

"Newt!" She had run over to him, when MACUSA had taken Grindelwald away, for she couldn't do anything prior. Fear kept her in place, stuck with nowhere to go but shake violently and stare transfixed.

"Octavia?" He had replied, shocked to see her standing after he had left her lying down on a set of stairs unconscious.

"Newt, are you okay?"

"Sorry, you were unconscious, I..." They spoke in sync, her voice laced with concern and his an anxious stammer.

"Not important right now, are you okay?" She had already wrapped her hands around his forearms tracing the features of his face in search for anything different.

"I'm fine, thanks to you. Are you okay? You were... You were screaming and then, then you stopped..." He looked at her in the eye, causing Octavia to step backwards as she realised their closeness.

"I'm fine." She squeaked, enough for him to hear.

"That's a lie and we both know it." He scolded her, then something took over and he held her in his arms.

She hadn't looked him fully in the eye, but her facade washed away for him. An ugly scar ran over her right eye, and the eye itself was colourless and empty.