Chapter 18 - The Obscurus

Octavia couldn't remember much of what happened, she was still trying to comprehend what dangers lay ahead of them, when all of a sudden Newt had thrust his case into her arms and brought his face near to hers. She couldn't remember the words he spoke, she was too shocked by everything that was happening. Having Newt that close to her face certainly didn't help. And in a matter of seconds he was gone, apparating after the first and the biggest Obscurial she would ever seen.

Newt was never the Gryffindor type to go running in to something dangerous, unless of course it was for any of his creatures, and finally everything clicked. He was going to try and save the child who was forced into suppression, and Octavia knew that he wouldn't leave this endeavour unscathed, unless of course she was to go help. And who better? Her magic had improved after getting a new wand, she was an excellent healer and she might already know the child. Taking a risk she bargained her own courage before flinging herself off the roof of the building, a loud snap and she reappeared by a theatre.

Her head stung and her ears were ringing, she didn't land very well, and that apparition was appalling. The Obscurial floated in the air above the theatre, its black wisps dilating and swirling threateningly. At moments it would lash out or grow in size and the buildings of New York would pay the price. Though her eyes were still adjusting to her surroundings she could make out to figures in the distance, Newt and Graves. She could also only make out one clear word, and without even noticing she reacted accordingly.

"Credence..."

Her legs grew longer, and her hair was pulled backwards into her skull. Her features sharpened and her clothes changed entirely. Credence, the Obscurial? It couldn't be, he was far too old. Then again, she was living in a world of magic, what wasn't possible? That was a little obvious, she couldn't bring back the dead or recreate pure love– Really, was this the time to be thinking about laws of magic?

Newt had stepped out from behind the car he was hiding. The Obscurial- Credence, took notice and flew off, Newt quickly behind. Graves was about to follow when suddenly Tina was there. When did she get there? Honestly, Octavia was not cut out for these kind of things. Reacting on instinct alone Octavia pulled out her wand and cast one of her strongest protection spells forming a barrier between Tina and Graves. It took immense force to hold up the spell, Graves seemed relentless with his attacks trying to break through. Eventually he released an infuriated grunt and disappeared clearly going after Credence.

"Tina!" Octavia called out running over to the ex-Auror, "Are you hurt?" She panted, running wasn't her thing either.

"No, I was safe behind your spell." Tina smiled reassuringly, and Octavia sighed taking a moment longer to catch her breath. She was about to sit down and take a break when panic wrapped itself like a snake around her neck.

"Newt!" She gasped, stumbling around to regain her balance and footing, before just as suddenly apparating away to wherever Newt was.

Crack!

She appeared on some steps that led down to the subway. It was dark, and in the distance she could here the unmistakeable sounds that were deadly offensive magic. Gathering that the spells were quite loud she disregarded her own stealth and ran blindly into a terrifying scene. Credence was running away through one of the tubes, in human form. But what took her truly by surprise was Newt struggling on the ground do his best to deflect Graves' powerful lightning strikes. She was frozen in time for only mere seconds.

Without thinking, she ran into the fray wand at the ready and with only one strategy on her mind.

"Protego Maxima!" She screamed, the strongest invisible barrier she had ever cast separating Newt from Graves, but it left her unprotected. Nor did it do anything to stop Graves' attack.

The spell didn't wrap around Newt, and so Graves re-angled his wand aiming to curve around Octavia's enchantment, luckily it didn't work. Realising this, he then aimed all of his power at Octavia and she was completely vulnerable.

The lightning struck her with such an agonisingly searing sensation that despite not wanting to, she let out a blood curdling scream as the electricity licked at her bare skin. She collapsed screaming louder as she was unable to do anything to protect herself, so caught up in maintaining her charm that would protect Newt.

Her screams echoed off the tiled walls of the subway, and suddenly they came to a stop and Octavia was still.