Chapter 13 - Seductive Mating Dance

What he said was the truth, magical beasts running around in New York, they were bound to get hurt, and who better than to do the damage than humans. Octavia shuddered to think of what might happen to any if them, and what scared her most was how it would effect Newt. This pushed her to help him find them even more so. She hadn't spoken since they had apparated, as Jacob was leading them to Central Park. Octavia had no clue as to where it was, she'd never even explored her new home, maybe it was a going outside thing.

"I was watching you at dinner." Newt sparked conversation with Jacob. "People like you, don't they, Mr Kowalski?"

"Oh- Well, I'm sure people like you too, huh?" Jacob asked, surprised at the question.

"No, not really. I annoy people." Newt replied matter-of-factly.

Momentarily stunned, Jacob then turns to Octavia, an odd expression on his face. "What about you, then?" he asked curiously.

"Me? We're just old friends..." she began to mumble.

"I know that. Tea, remember? No, I mean, does he annoy you?" Jacob raises an eyebrow and Newt turns quickly to Octavia.

"Oh! Um..." Newt was watching her very carefully, although the expression in his eyes were something she had only seen once before. "Well, I can't stay mad at him forever." she sighed, falling back into silence to think about what she had just witnessed.

She had only seen him make that expression once before, it was as though he was both excited and worried at the same time. He had worn that expression back in Hogwarts days when Leta was describing her perfect man. It was an odd calculating look, as though he was trying to figure out if that person had feelings for him, which in the case of Leta was true. However, the one thing that didn't add up was the context in which that face had occurred. He couldn't, couldn't he?

"You weren't much help." Newt elbows Octavia, waking her from her trance, suddenly his look becomes serious. "Octavia, you alright?" he asked whilst emptying the Niffler's pouch.

"Hm? Oh... Um, yeah..." she muttered weakly, then was caught surprise by the their unfortunate situation.

A group of Muggle policemen had their guns pointed out at the three of them, Octavia and Jacob raised their hands, whereas the Niffler thought it was prime time to show itself. Catching a police man's attention he asks what it is, but a newer and more large beast catches Jacob's attention. Frozen with fright he points to the other end of the street and says, "Lion..."

The arrival of the lion distracts the policemen long enough for Newt to comment on how interesting New York was before the three of them disaparated. Quickly the find their way to Central Park, as Newt stops to talk to Jacob on a bridge, Octavia carries forward, wand in hand. A loud snort issues from the zoo, and Octavia walks in, surprised at the size of the beast she backtracks and calls to Newt.

"Newt!" she whisper shouts at him and he hurries forward.

Calculating the situation, Newt pulls out a tiny vial from his pocket, "She's in season. She needs to mate." he begins to dab the vial onto the cuffs of his wrists and hands it to Jacob, the Muggle's confused expression makes Newt add, "Erumpent musk- She's mad for it." and carrying his case Newt walks forward.

He places his case down near the Erumpent and opens it seductively, before beginning the most awkward thing Octavia had ever seen. Newt performs what is evidently a mating ritual, a series of grunts, rolls, wiggles and groans to entice the Erumpent back into his case. Knowing that this was a serious situation, Octavia stifles her giggles, however what happens next takes a more dangerous tone.

"Merlin's beard!" Octavia gasps as the Erumpent abandons the case and chases after Jacob, he sprints off and as she goes to chase after him, Newt's wand gets taken by a monkey. "Accio." she points her wand and Newt's wand comes flying into her hand, before she throws it to Newt and runs out of the zoo.

By the time Octavia gets sight of the scene Jacob and the Erumpent are sliding across an iced lake. Newt sprints past her, and knowing that he can handle the Erumpent, Octavia decides to put Jacob into a more safe situation. Carefully aiming her wand she shouts, "Protego!" and an enchanted barrier appears between Jacob and the Erumpent.

However, as the spell leaves her wand she slipped and falls backwards her head hitting a large rock. Losing consciousness for a moment she catches one last glimpse of the Erumpent being sucked back into the case. Thank goodness.