CHAPTER TWO

"Alexis

"Alexis... Alexis... Alexis..."

My eyes blink. Once. Twice. Thrice.

Sunlight streams over the vast, open fields surrounding Camp Albanica. Counsellors and campers alike run to and from the various common areas or to the trails that lead to the cabins. Some move with great effort under the weight of their bags whilst others run so fast it's a hazard. Amongst it all are the counsellors trying to gain control of the medley.

However, I stand still. Lost in a time warp. Unable to hear anything. Frozen in a blur.

Colton Moreno.

Two, similar figures stand in my peripheral vision. They talk to each other animatedly.

Colton Moreno.

"Alexis!" I jump with a start.

Ashlynn. Brooklynn. Camp. Counselling.

"Huh?"

"Oh Lexi, I thought we'd lost you for a second there! What were you thinking about?" Ashlynn frowns, eyeing me with concern.

"Oh, what? No. I'm fine just a little tired I guess. The trip from San Diego to here is a long seventeen hours and you know how I get on long trips. I can't sleep for the life of me!" I say, with a little too much perk.

Their gazes lock on me with disbelief. "No, seriously, I'm fine."

"Alexis, we saw Colton walk past too–"

"Brooklynn, I'm fine."

When it seems, Brooklynn is about to speak again, Colton's best friend, Tanner, approaches us. Grinning widely, he walks with a jump to his step and almost instantly the fog in my brain clears up. I feel lighter, happier.

"Howdy, girls!"

"Hey Tanner." I smile. "What can we do for you?"

"I need help... I seem to have lost my campers." Scratching his sandy hair, his cheeks turn scarlett but never the less his beamer is still intact, he never stops smiling. Explains his sharp jaw.

"How on earth did you manage that in less than an hour? And how do you even know what campers you have?"

"It's easier than you think..."

"Seriously tanner?" Brooklynn tries again.

"Well, I may or may not have begged Gianna to give me my camper rota earlier so I could beat my fellow counsellor in the race to become favourite counsellor?" the words tumble out of his mouth quicker than lightening.

"And?"

"How do you know there's an and?"

"Because you still haven't explained how you lost them," Brooklyn deadpans.