chapter three

THREE 

              Just getting off the last step of the stairs, heriberta glanced at Matilda suspiciously; that woman never ceased to surprise her. She wondered where her son picked her off from: she's elusive, mysterious and cunning. Those piercing blue eyes could be as intimidating as the evil eye itself. 

                 The baby she held nestled quietly in her arms as she fed him milk from a feeder. 

             ''Matilda, I didn't know you were pregnant.'' She said sarcastically. ''when did you give birth?'' 

          ''Juan didn't tell you? I gave birth the same day as victoria. You would've noticed if you hadn't been so obsessed about victoria and her daughters.'' Those words were meant as an insult to the old woman who saw it as nothing but jealousy. 

           ''is that so?'' she threw back. ''but you don't look like one who's given birth barely a month ago.'' Matilda swept her one of her killer stares. Heriberta ignored her and went to the patio where victoria was waiting for her. 

              Matilda watched from the door way, the two women laughing like a bunch of kids. It was hard to imagine that she and victoria were once friends it just so happened that they never seemed to be of the same opinion because they both have different interests. 

              Matilda's ambitions got her where she was likewise victoria's kind heart?she could fool every one with a staged serenity but not matilda who's convinced that a day would come when her true colors would be out in the open; everyone thought she's the evil one but victoria's worse she thought. 

            Lorenzo would've married her but fell for victoria instead. One might wonder why the hard feeling since she'd managed to worm her way into the family by marrying the second son?but you can't easily forget a friend's betrayal and not just that, victoria had managed to get on everyone's good side. At one time, Juan had compared her to victoria and that's what irked her the most; she hated being compared to victoria. She had always being the queen bee and victoria's just her sidekick that's how important she'd been. But now, it seemed like victoria's slowly stealing her crown and her spotlight.

           Get more flour, third floor last room by the right paquita had said. But when Olivia was finally on the third floor, after gasping at the long elaborated corridor, she'd completely forgotten about the instruction?now what was she to do? 

She glanced from left to right and back again. 

         There were so many rooms. She finally got an idea. She closed her eyes with one hand and with the other, she counted to ten. 

         When her finger settled on left, without thinking, she pushed the door and walked right in then froze. She whirled round almost immediately clasping her hand over her eyes 

Did she just see that? 

        ''i...I'm so sorry.'' I didn't see anything.'' And with that whimsy apology, she darted out of the room. He stared after her alarmed, not making an effort to be modest.  

If he was going to be stark naked, he should've at least put on a lock. But wait, that didn't look anything like a store?oh no! What had she done? She fretted and who could it be? She wondered and what if she got fired for it? 

      Olivia leaned against the door breathing heavily, she'd lied that she saw nothing when she'd indeed seen everything. She swallowed hard, then did the sign of the cross and went away.  

       Eva looked on in disbelief. She must admit that this time, her mother had gotten the picture right. 

       Her savior wasn't evil-favored and stocky as she'd imagined. He was tall and slightly built, the sand-brown Italian suit he wore hung on him respectfully and the matching shoes were neatly polished, soft brown eyes that searched her closely. Sensual lips that widened into a broad smile... unfortunately, she couldn't make a complete analysis of him because he interrupted. Hope you like it.'' The sound of his voice was something else entirely.