Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"What are you idiots doing?! Suddenly stopping like that in the middle of the road? Just look at my car! Look at it!"

Calum and I both apologised again and again but the guy in the van behind us wasn't having it. Moreover, my head was beginning to throb like hell and Ashton was most likely waiting for us at the airport already.

"You be careful I don't sue you for this-"

Suddenly, Calum stepped up to the guy and shut him up. "Whoa now, we weren't the only ones at fault here. Yes, we stopped the car in a bad place – and we've apologised for that by the way - but if you weren't going so fast and kept the distance between the two vehicles, no accident would have happened. Let's clear this up quietly and get on with our lives, yeah? Our insurance companies can sort out any repairs."

I watched in awe as Calum walked over to his side of the car and got in without another word. The driver was absolutely furious but nothing else could be done so I apologised one last time before getting in the car and driving off. There was still a long journey and we were short on time no thanks to his inability to stay rational.

When we pulled into the airport car park, it was already six-thirty. Ashton had called my number as soon as he'd come out of passport control and was supposedly waiting impatiently on a chair in front of a luggage store. "C'mon, we'd better go quickly – how about you go first and meet him whilst I buy the parking ticket?" I suggested, switching off the engine and undoing my seatbelt.

"Sure, don't be long though will you? I'm scared he might murder me," he joked (or at least, I hoped he was joking). It took me several moments to find the ticket machine but when I did, I slotted some coins into it and left the ticket on top of my dashboard, hurrying to the arrivals lounge.

I wasn't the only astonished one in there to see Calum bowling over with his hands over his crotch and Ashton towering over him stroking his own fist, looking very pleased with himself.

"Calum!" I cried, rushing over and helping him up. "What the hell, Ash? Why would you..."

Ashton simply giggled, and said, "I made a vow to myself that if I ever saw Calum again, I'd punch him so hard in the place it hurt the most to make him pay for what he put us through."

"But you were so nice to each other on the phone earlier!" I exclaimed, frowning at them both.

"Well... that wasn't in person. Anyway, now that that's over, hi Cal! It's so good to see you again!"

I rolled my eyes as they caught up in a much friendlier manner on the way back to the car. Ashton's suitcase was being dragged by me and I made sure to leave a few marks from the ground on it to pay him back. My head, however, felt a lot better after being hit on the steering wheel earlier.

"You know I honestly thought you were dead," Ashton commented once we'd settled in the car. I took the time to notice his appearance – he'd certainly aged, but it suited him. He'd let his facial hair grow out a little, and his hair was still in soft golden brown waves.

"We all did," I replied monotonously.

"So what have you been doing?" Ashton continued, ignoring me.

Calum shrugged. "Just been here and there. Nothing much."

"He wouldn't even tell me, and we used to be best friends!" I pointed out.

"Sorry. There really isn't much to say."

"I don't believe you. Hey where's Mikey?"

Calum and I exchanged a little glance and smirked. "Ohhh Mikey? He was too busy to come," I replied, stifling a laugh.