Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Luke

"Walk and talk Cal, walk and talk. I'm gonna be late and Mason's band have their final session today," I said hastily, shoving a slice of toast in my mouth as we rushed down the stairs.

"Well, if you hadn't gotten back to late last night, I could've told you yesterday," he replied, following closely behind.

"Taxi!" I hollered, waving one down at lightning speed.

"Wait, can't we drive?"

"Car's parked on the next block down. No time! Get in."

Calum seemed to be super agitated about something. It wasn't exactly my fault Michael wanted a drink with me last night, nor that we got so hammered that by the time we sobered up enough to make it home, it was already three in the morning.

However, I didn't have time for that. Yesterday I was supposed to finish arranging the lyrics for the lyric booklet for the CD. I whipped out the iPad and began working on that.

"Luke, you have to listen to me."

"I am," I responded idly.

"Please, this is important."

I sighed and locked the iPad, turning to look at Calum in the eye. "What is it?"

"Something's fishy about Harper and this Vic guy. I think there's something they're hiding."

I chuckled. "Jesus Cal, we've been through this. They're exes, and besides I'm sure they're just working on something together. You gotta stop thinking about this; it's making you think up crazy shit. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to-"

"I'm serious. I met Vic at my interview yesterday, and-"

"How do you even know it's the same Vic? There must be hundreds of people with that name in New York alone."

"I just know, okay?!" he snapped. "God, aren't you suspicious of your fiancée at all?"

"People don't usually get suspicious of the people they're gonna marry! That's not how we're wired to work. And I'm sorry that you have trust issues, okay, but Harper's a good human being. She wouldn't have something on with her ex and not tell me."

He looked at me with this disappointed look in his eyes. He wasn't finished, I could tell – but the taxi had stopped right in front of Hi and Hey. I checked the meter and handed the change over to the driver, before getting out the car.

"Look, I'm sorry. I don't mean to get all up in your grill, but I'd prefer if we didn't talk about this again," I reaffirmed. "Now, are you coming with me to work with Mason's band? If not I'll pay the taxi driver to take you home."

~

Despite Calum silently agreeing not to talk about it again, I could tell he was distracted. That distant look in his eyes, the dull shade of skin, constant lip biting – anyone watching the guy would be able to guess that he was anxious. It was almost time for lunch, and Harper had asked me to meet her outside her studio. Part of me was tempted to cancel on her and talk to Calum about his concerns. I mean, I didn't think they were genuine, but it was clearly bothering him and I didn't want to work with that kind of atmosphere.

Michael got there before I could, though.

"Morning boys, as employees of this wonderful, successful and amazing company, you are entitled to a lunch break so go stuff some food down your throats!" he yelled, entering the room glamorously. I laughed, rolling my eyes and flinging the lyric booklet draft on the stereo board in front of me. I gestured for the band boys to come out of the recording room and they all went down to the company canteen for lunch.