Chapter 8

Chapter 8

"I've got some stuff to do today, so I won't be in the office. You should stay with Mason's band and help them out though, I'll pick you up at five," I notified Calum, grabbing my keys and stepping into a casual pair of brown boots.

"Yeah, sure. See you later."

Harper and I had an appointment with our doctor today, just as a quick check up on the baby. I hadn't told Calum because... well... it was a weird topic to be talking about with the guy I'd slept with the night before. It was easier for everyone if the secret was kept between Harper and myself.

Speaking of Harper, she'd gone to work for the morning since there was some important shooting she had to be there for, so I decided to go to the department store near her studio to wait.

Stores were unusually quiet in the mornings, I found. Once I'd gotten bored of the first floor's men brands, I headed up to the kid's section for some random reason, feeling an inclination to have a look at the sort of clothes kids wore these days.

A little spark was ignited within when my eyes caught onto a small baby penguin onesie on display, one that had little gloves and a cute hood. I went over with instinct and took it off the rail, giving it a spin and imagining a small child filling the empty space in the middle.

"Hi sir, is there anything you're looking for in particular today?" a friendly sales assistant chirped all of a sudden. I shoved the item of clothing back on the display rack, clearing my throat.

"U-uh, no not really – just looking."

"Well I could recommend a few lines if you're interested? How old is your child?"

I heated up, and my face turned into a tomato as I swallowed nervously. "Um... uh..."

"Our child hasn't been born yet!" a voice from behind exclaimed. Harper...? The sales assistant grinned at her. "We're just about to go to the doctor for a check-up, but I guess Luke was too excited and wanted to buy a little something!" she giggled, linking arms with me. I wasn't feeling it though. All of a sudden, the only thing I wanted to do was jump out a window and escape.

"That's so cute! Congratulations, I hope everything goes smoothly for you both!"

We thanked her and left the shop, making our way to the escalator to go all the way back down to the ground floor. "So Luke, were you thinking of buying some clothes? I can't believe you, you're too cute," Harper smiled, tightening her grasp on my arm. I let out a shaky breath and smiled back. "What do you think the doctor will say?"

I shrugged. "Beat's me. I guess they'll do a scan and ask you some questions."

"Only one way to find out, right?"

~

"You baby is completely healthy as of right now," Dr Swan said, holding the iPad showing the scan for us to see. "Would you like to know the gender?"

Harper nodded excitedly next to me. "Boy or girl?"

"Girl!"

She squealed and looked at me with her glossy eyes. "Yes, Lukey! I've always wanted a girl!" I tried to smile but honestly, it just didn't feel right. "What's wrong Luke? Did you want a boy?"

Dr Swan chuckled. "Well, you can always have more than one baby."

I wanted to tell them that wasn't the case, but the words got stuck in my throat.

"Harper, Luke, although things are looking very good so far, I want you both to be prepared for anything that could go wrong. I have a leaflet for you to look through that explains the topics we don't really want to think about, but that we ought to if we don't want any nasty surprises. Harper, you will begin to show in a few weeks' time so I think now is a good time to start buying maternity clothing and Luke, please look after Harper very well. It's a vulnerable time for both the mother and the baby."