The Wind of Change

The smell of crisp bacon and fluffy pancakes filled up the air in our cozy home. It was just a regular Sunday- my mom and dad gathered around the kitchen counter eating breakfast while I got ready for practice. I put on my jersey as I heard my mom sweetly call, "Joy Olivia Yamazaki you're going to be late for soccer practice if you don't hurry up. How many times do I have to call you?" I hopped around putting on my socks and scrambled downstairs. I grabbed a banana as we all hurried through the door and my dad handed me my gear bag and planted a kiss on my head.

We rushed in the car and headed to my school. It was a lovely sunny day, and I stared out the window as I watched the trees and buildings rush by. I thought about my life since I tend to do that a lot in the car. I thought about how thankful I am for my small family, I've always wanted a brother or a sister but at the same time, I enjoy the attention all to myself. My thoughts are interrupted as the car comes to a stop. "Bye honey, have a great day." My dad calls out as I walked out the car. "Bye dad, bye mom love you." Then, I rushed over to my team.

"Good morning guys!", I chirped.

"Good morning Joy, did you have a good Saturday?" my best friend, Monica says.

"As usual. Had to catch up on lots of sleep. That AP class is evil." I chuckled, "I swear, they're doing this on purpose."

"Gather around, gather around!" my coach calls out. "Alright guys, I need your attention. You guys need to keep up your good work. As you know, the season is coming to an end and our championship game is coming up. Your team captain here is going to be a little strict", he points to me and I just look away uncomfortably. "So the messing around is gonna need to end. That's all. Let's go warm-up.", and he dismisses us. I instructed the team to run around the field two times as I led the crowd.

We finished warm-ups and we started a game of scrimmage. I looked over at Monica and she seemed different. She wasn't as bouncy as she usually was. I dismissed my concern occasionally, glancing at her. The ball makes its way to me so I stole it and headed across the field. I score a goal and everyone cheers. "Alright, girls great game. Keep up the good work. Make sure you're drinking lots of water." I shouted to everyone. We all said our farewells and walked away.

I saw Monica and ran over to catch up to her

I saw Monica and ran over to catch up to her. "Hey, a-are you okay?" She glanced over at me and shifted on her feet. Something seemed off and my heart started beating faster. She never acted that way, so I started worrying. Her mouth opened and closed. I noticed she was contemplating whether she tell me what was on her mind or not. "You know you can tell me anything right? I won't be mad, I swear." She shook her head and did not say a word, she looked at the grass like it was the most interesting thing in the world and fiddling with the end of her jersey. "I'm-I'm moving away," she said so fast I almost didn't catch what she was saying, but I did and I almost wish I didn't.