Prove It

Winter break consisted of doing a lot of homework, catching up on studying since I have not been doing that all semester, and doing research for robotics. It was a very boring break but I for once felt back on track, I enjoyed being back on track.

I've spoken with Monica almost every day during the break, I find her voice comforting. It reminded me of when I was younger, those were the good days. Monica still plays soccer which I slightly envy her for because she is now captain of her team. Nonetheless, I'm happy that she's happy doing what she loves. I'm hoping I will find something I truly love like she did.

Starting robotics was exciting yet nerve racking for me. I was excited to start something new that I surprisingly found very interesting. A few months ago I would have never done something like this without the support of Ms.Lok. However, I'm nervous to start and be clueless in everything I do.

Winter break soon came to an end and tomorrow was the start of the second semester. Before I went to bed I checked all my assignments, in case I forgot something. While I was shuffling through the pile of papers on my desk, I came across a picture of me and my old soccer team. The picture alone made my heart sink because I came to the realization that I left so much behind after I left middle school and after my parent's separation. However, I made the decision to never again let my past affect my future any longer. I want to make a difference in my family since my mother and aunt are simply housewives, and I not only want to change my life but influence others.

Wednesday rolled around quickly. After school ended I made my way to Ms. Lok's classroom. The cold January air brushed past me making me tighten my jacket around me. As I walked up the ramp to Ms.Lok's classroom I could not help but feel nervousness. My cold fingers fidgeted as I entered the classroom. When I walked in I was greeted by the warm air in the classroom and Ms.Lok's welcoming smile.

"Hello, hello, hello. Glad you could make it," she said as she waved me over.

"Glad to be here," I replied back smiling. "So what do I do? I feel a bit out of place in here."

"Okay. That's engineering over there," she said pointing to a group of people crowded around a half-built robot. A frown crawled up my face as I saw that they were mostly guys, and the girls did not pay much attention to the robot. She walked me over to the group before I could say anything. She cleared her throat to get everyone's attention.

"Guys, this is Joy Yamazaki. She will be joining us for the rest of the year so help her out," she said and everyone nodded.

"Okay Joy have fun, and remember I'm always observing for leadership," she said as she walked back to her desk.

I gathered up the courage to ignore everyone's attention and look at the robot they were building.

"Are you guys having trouble? Because I'm pretty sure the shaft collar is misplaced."

Everyone looked at me in awe because of how fast I caught on. At that moment I knew that my intense studying came in handy and that I will, in fact, make and be the change I wanted.