Lend A Hand

In the competition that year we got third place which was a massive accomplishment since our team has never won anything before. I discussed getting more girls to join the team with Ms. Lok and she could not agree with me more. So the recursion began, me and a few other girls from my team put up flyers, talked to girls and made announcements to get girls to join robotics. By the end of sophomore year, the boy to girl ratio in our club was almost equal, in fact there might have even been more girls than boys. I was happy to see girls engaging in activities that were not socially defined "for girls" or "feminine".

During one of our meetings, Ms. Lok had mention that the elections for club positions were near, and I could do nothing, but think about how I could show what a great leader I could be for our team. Then, it hit me, the only way to show the club that I am worthy of becoming their president I must continue to do what I do best, and lead the group to a victory of second place at our next competition. When I do this everyone will know that I can lead them to first place with teamwork and success.

My mother could not be more proud of me. She was even the one who encouraged me to run for club president after Max, our club president graduated. So I ran for president, and I promised everyone that if we truly work together we will succeed, maybe even get a first place some day. I won the election, and I became the first female president of the robotics club. Pride was a constant feeling I had when I realize how far I've come, and I had many to thank for that feeling.

I re-ran for president of robotics Junior year and won the election once again because of my hard work and contribution. My grades definitely got exceptionally better than my freshman year. That came in handy when it was time to apply for colleges, the anticipation of leaving high school was soon building up all the juniors and seniors. Ms. Lok encouraged me to apply for as many scholarships as possible, she also wrote all my letters of recommendation which definitely would boost my chances of getting into the college of my dreams.

It was time for competition again, and I was determined to get my team to first place. My attempt of pushing motivation into everyone's system had worked because after months of working hard on our robot we won first place. It was the first first place our club has ever won, it was a big achievement for not only our club but our school. Joy was filled the air around us, and for the first time in a while I felt like I belonged. I had found my happy place, a place where I could express my passion. Much like my best friend Monica because she got a full ride scholarship to her dream college. At this period of my life joy seemed to be little angel that followed me around wherever I went, and I never wanted it to go away.

That little angel of joy was still following me when I found out that I got into my dream college with a full ride scholarship. It was truly the best day of my life when I received that letter. The first thing I did was thank my mother, Ms. Lok, and Monica for all being role model to me in their own special ways. They all showed love and great care to me in different aspects of my life, and without them I would have never gotten to where I am right now. Building prosthetic body part for help people, and helping them discover the joy in the world that I discovered. After all of that I could finally say that I found the meaning of joy. Joy found Joy.