The Winds of Better Change?

Ms. Lok announced that we were dismissed and everyone crowded towards the door, eager to get out of class. I walked slowly the other direction to her desk. "You wanted to see me, Ms. Lok?" I said in a casual voice."Ah yes, Miss Yamazaki. Please have a seat," she said, gesturing to the seat in front of her desk. I quickly took it. "I wanted to talk to you about your grades." Ms. Lok in a concerned voice. I mentally groaned at the subject of our discussion knowing this was going to be the same old lecture about how I need to work harder in school. However, I respect Ms. Lok so I kept listening.

"I looked over your grades and I'm kind of disappointed with the results. You have a C or lower in all your classes, and you know this school does not tolerate these kinds of grades," she said as she flipped through some papers. "And your grades in middle school were excellent, what happened?" she asked. I shrugged because I really wasn't interested in telling my life struggles to my English teacher.

She took a deep breath and said "Okay I have a solution, and please do consider it. So, as you know I have an after school club. It's robotics. I know it sounds intimidating or kinda lame but it's actually really fun and many of my students look forward to it every week. I figured this could be a way for you to become more engaged with school." She handed me a flyer and I hesitated before grabbing it from her hand and mumbling a small thank you. "I'll give you a week to think about it. Come back on Monday and tell me what you think. Our club encourages everyone's participation, so don't be afraid to stand out and take leadership because I do see it in you," she said with a smile.

 Our club encourages everyone's participation, so don't be afraid to stand out and take leadership because I do see it in you," she said with a smile

"Now go enjoy what's left of your lunch and have a good rest of the day," she said dismissively and went back to clicking through her computer.

"Okay thank you, Ms. Lok. I appreciate your offer, and I will definitely think about it. Have a great day."

I walked out of the classroom gaining a newer appreciation for Ms. Lok. I may consider doing this.