Create Your Own Reality

It's been a month since my first meeting in robotics. I was one of the few girls in the club and it was quite a discouraging thing because I believe that I am one of most contributing to the club. The competition was soon approaching us and everyone was hard at work in their designated area. Engineering was once again having trouble with the stubborn robot, I had a clue what was wrong with it but I didn't want to point it out like last time, I wanted to push other people to figure it out.

I studied the robot with a conflicted look. "Hey Vanessa, can you come here for a sec?" Vanessa was one of the girls in my team. She's very smart but I notice that she does not have the courage to speak up. So my plan is to help her overcome that fear.

"Y-yeah sure."

"What do you think is wrong with this robot? It's slow, don't you think?"

"Its movements are restricted somehow. Don't you think?" she said with a bit of hope in her eyes. I nodded.

"It could be the wheels. We could test out different types and see which one works best," she said in a concentrated tone.

"I think that's a great idea. Good job. Can you call over Andria so she can help us take out the wheels?" she nodded and went to call her over.When she got here they both started working on the wheels, and I stepped back and watched their work making sure all's well.

"You're pretty smart for a girl. I have never seen this many girls take over," I heard a voice say behind me. I turned around to see one of the seniors on our team, Dominic. I chuckled and said, "It's because you've always pushed away from the idea of girls being in charge but in reality, we're the ones who keep things running." I said in a very confident voice and smirked when I left him speechless.

About thirty minutes later I heard Andria call out "The robot is up and running smoothly."

The sense of victory took over my body. I was proud of these girls and I was proud of myself for encouraging them.