Unbothered

(fast forward towards end of first semester freshmen year of high school)

I stopped caring a long time ago. My grades have been dropping, but I couldn't find it in myself to care.

My mother has been always by my side helping me get through the tragedies that all happened at the end of that year. My life has become a boring old routine, but I don't mind it, and my mom doesn't really take concern towards my academic achievement since she is a typical housewife. As she always says, "As long as you're safe and healthy that's all that matters." For me, it was the hardcore pushing of my father or the slacking of my mother there was no in between. So when I lost the hardcore pushing, there was no one to motivate me. Although sometimes I wish I did.

The bell rings bringing me out of my thoughts, I groaned getting up to throw my food away. "Are you coming" my friend Charlie asked. I nod and follow my group of friends to one of my least hated classes, English. I mainly enjoy that class because of Ms. Lok, she just lets us express ourselves in our writing.

"Okay, class today you have a free write since I have to finalize your grades for your report card. I'll be grading these so please try your best. Oh, your topic is on the board."

"What is one thing you had to give up during your lifetime that you wish you didn't" the board read.

My mind immediately goes to soccer. After culminating from middle school I could not continue playing because my school didn't have a team. Although it was quite upsetting I started caring less and less about it as the days went by. Besides, I was too uninvested in my school life to find a new hobby, I just wanted to be carefree. I shook myself out of my thoughts realizing that I have been distracted for a little over ten minutes and headed back to writing.

It was almost time to leave class when Ms. Lok said: "Alright class pencils down, please hand in your response on your way out." Then out of the corner of my eye I saw her walk over to my desk and say "Miss Yamazaki, will you see me after class please?"