chapter five

third-wheeling

"Why didn't you tell me, man?" Bokuto sulked at Akaashi as they walked down the street.

"Tell you what?" Akaashi asked, not really paying attention to his friend as he was so lost in his own thoughts. 

"That you planned on that being a date," he exclaimed, crossing his arms in a huff like an angry child, "I was totally third wheeling, dude!"

"A date?" Bokuto had successfully captured Akaashi's attention by shocking him into paying attention, "That wasn't a date."

"Yes it was, man!" Bokuto announced, "Obviously was."

"No it wasn't, I barely even know her," he was trying to convince himself as wellas Bokuto as he spoke. Was it a date? Minus Bokuto, it seemed kind of like a date. But someone as wonderful as (Y/N) wouldn't date someone like him, she was probably just being nice. Yeah, that was it and he shouldn't think it was.

"Was." Bokuto responded decidedly. 

"It wasn't so be quiet, Bokuto-san," because if he talked about it much more he might convince himself that it was a date.

" Was, was, was!" Bokuto's words gradually increased in volume until he was shouting. Akaashi sighed and picked up the pace, moving away from Bokuto, "Even if it wasn't a date, you two were totally drooling other each other, like, the whole time."

"What!?" Akaashi stopped dead in the street and turned to look at his friend.

"I may be an idiot but I'm not blind, dude," he explained, "You obviously like each other, besides she said that you're pretty..." Bokuto trailed off, realising his mistake and hoping Akaashi hadn't being paying attention at all. Unfortunately, he had.

"Shit!" Bokuto noticed Akaashi's eyes widen considerably, "Pretend I didn't say that. Just ignore me."

"Ignore you? This is the one time I don't want to ignore you."

"Well...Hey!" Bokuto said with contempt, "Rude,man."

"Did she actually say that?" Akaashi questioned, leaning closer to Bokuto, as if it would help him decipher the truth.

"Say what?" Bokuto asked, genuinely confused after being sidetracked by Akaashi's back handed insult.

"Oh my god," Akaashi breathed, exasperated, "Are you being serious?" Bokuto just raised a single eye brow,

"Of course, you're serious," he sighed, "(Y/N). Did she actually say that...that?"

"Oh, what, that you're pretty? Yeah! Why would I make that up, man? But you can't tell her I told you. She made me promise not to tell. She'll kill me and you."

"Was she joking?" Akaashi was still doubtful that she had said anything nice about him at all.

"No. She did seem at little...a little..." he trailed off, trying to think of the right word.

"What?" Akaashi pressed.

"A little dissatisfied," he said, happy with his word choice," Like she said the wrong thing. But she could have just been embarrased. I don't know." He shrugged nonchalantly and continued walking home, leaving Akaashi behind as he ran the past conversation in his mind.

It was obvious, even to himself, that he -at the very least- had a crush on (Y/N) but he hadn't even considered her liking him a serious thought. To him, it was too good to be true. 

a/n this is kind of a filler, sorry. enjoy!