chapter seven

an awkward encounter

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Akaashi asked, glancing at a relaxed Bokuto with mild apprehension.

"You mean getting the number for the girl you like?" Bokuto replied, "Of course!"

"No, I meant hanging creepily in the locker room and waiting for her to come," Akaashi informed him, flicking his eyes down to check the time on his phone before sighing and sinking back towards the wall.

"It's not creepy!" Bokuto defended, "I do it."

"That just further proves my point," Akaashi stated, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Hey! Rude!" Bokuto exclaimed, turning to playfully punch his friend in the arm.

"How quickly did your friendship dissolve into needless violence?" (y/n) joked as she walked in, swinging her bag off her shoulder and into her usual locker.

Which, Akaashi noticed while he sat to attention, was directly below his. Bokuto chuckled at the sight of his friend's nervousness and moved so he was facing (y/n) who had taken up the seat opposite him.

"Can I have your number?" Bokuto asked, feeling no need to beat around the bush about it.

"Wow, I thought you were more loyal than that, Bokuto," she said, feigning shock, "You and your boyfriend break up already?"

"Of course not! We're still completely in love," he threw a sideways glance at Akaashi to be greeted with a faraway look that told him his friend probably wasn't listening to or even really hearing their conversation, "It's for him."

He lowered his voice still, inclining his head towards the boy still staring at the lockers in the the corner of the room. (y/n) made a strangled, choking noise for a second but collected herself enough to reply after clearing her throat.

"I, yeah, you can have my number," she agreed, glancing at Akaashi with a light pink dusting her cheeks.

Bokuto handed her his phone and she quickly typed her number in before handing it back. She stood up slightly abruptly, drawing the pair's attention to her,

"I better be getting to practice," she rushed, "Nice seeing you guys."

With a swirl of her skirt, she was gone and a goodbye hung on Akaashi's lips. He was extremely disappointed that he literally hadn't said a word to her in the entire time he'd been there.

"C'mon lover boy," Bokuto teased, "I got what we came for."

"Oh, thanks," Akaashi was nigh on breathless still after seeing what was both metaphorically and literally the girl of his dreams.

***

(y/n) glided into the ice but even the crisp bite to the sit around the rink didn't cool the blush on her cheeks. She was falling for this boy. Hard.

She wondered how obvious she was being. Or just how oblivious he was. Bokuto had presumably already figured it out, he could read people very easily, and was just keeping it quiet for her sake.

Akaashi always seemed zoned out whenever she was around; though she knew she shouldn't really take it personally since they had known each other for an minute amount of time but she couldn't help but assume she'd done something.

But what? She had no idea. Her best bet was probably to subtly question Bokuto until he revealed Akaashi's feelings towards her or, more likely, his lack thereof.

a/n woo i'm back