~9~

As the week went on, Leo and I continued to go 100% during each practice. Each practice we rode in, the more pouty the Clique got. It was perfect payback for the false directions and "spilling" their sundae on me.

I got out of the shower after practice on Friday, and as I dried my hair, I peeked at what Hailey was scrolling through on her laptop. She was dress shopping.

"Why the sudden need for a new dress?" I yelled over the sound of the blow drier.

"What?" she yelled back.

I turned off the blow drier. "Why're you shopping for a new dress?" I asked again.

"Oh, well, it's really early, but I'm looking for something new for the winter dance," she said casually.

"Ooooh, what's the winter dance?" I asked.

"What does it sound like? A dance in the winter," she sassed playfully. I jokingly rolled my eyes, and she gave in and spilled the details.

"Well, a bunch of the boarding schools in Virginia get together the day before winter break starts, and we have a party and there's food, drinks, dancing, contests, etc. It's really fun!" she said giddily. "We hardly get to interact with other schools, so it's really exciting that we get to do this," she added.

I nodded. "It sounds like so much fun! I'll have to start looking for a dress," I said, my mind on all the websites that I was planning on scrolling through to find that perfect dress....

"Earth to Sabrina?" Hailey called, and I was jerked out of my thoughts. I laughed.

"Sorry! I started thinking about dress shopping, and you know how I get when I think about shopping..." I trailed on, and Hailey just shook her head and giggled.

For the rest of the evening we were glued to our laptops, searching for the dress that we were going to wear to the dance.

***

On the weekends, we didn't have practices, but we were still allowed to ride, and we were always expected to take care of our horse.

Later in the morning, I was ambling around in the arena, letting Leo stretch his legs. Today I was going to practice some dressage- I had a feeling that's what we would be working on a lot next week...

I gathered the reins a bit, and pushed him into a working walk. He dropped his head, and pushed into contact with the reins. I grinned, then picked up a trot and did the exercise at this gait, and then a canter.

After I had done the exercise at all three gaits, I went to work on figures and shapes that could be game for any dressage test. We did 20 meter circles, 10 meter circles, changes across the diagonal, serpentines, and other numerous patterns. I really paid attention to where his shoulders were facing, and making sure each curve was as round and smooth as the actual shape.

When Leo's coat began to darken with sweat, I knew it was a good time to call quits. I really wanted to trail ride, but you weren't allowed to go on the trails alone. I grabbed my phone out of my pant pocket and texted Carly.

Me: trail ride in a few?

I waited 5 minutes, and then my phone chimed.

Carly: sure, just got done jumping in the indoor. lmk when ur ready to go!

Me: cool, im ready whenever. wanna go now?

Carly: omw out. c u in a min

Me: ok

I put my phone away, and walked Leo in lazy circles, carefully dodging other riders who were riding, and then saw Carly on Fontaine walk out from the stable. I left the ring, and caught up with her. The boys fell step in step, and I grinned as we headed for a new trail.