~22~

The week leading up to exams consisted of studying past lights out, reading while I brushed my teeth, and so much stress that I'm pretty sure I'm losing my hair.  It finally came the time, at 8:30 A.M. on Monday morning, that I had my first exam - English.  

"And, you may begin," said my teacher, and I began to read the first question of my end of trimester assessment.  Woo hoo.

I walked out of the classroom feeling pretty confident.  Although the exam had been a lot of long passages, I was energized after it.  1 down, 4 more to go.

***

I quickly groomed and tacked Leo up for our ride.  I decided we'd do some flatwork, then go out on a trail ride.  We didn't have lessons this week (which seemed like an incredibly stupid idea since the show is on Saturday), due to exams.  Apparently the principal requires that students be excused from sports and extra-curricular activities this week.  Even though there was no lesson, I would not be stopped from practicing.  It was my first show that I would be competing in with Timber Creek - and I was not about to enter unprepared.  I have ultimately decided to show at 2'9" in the showjumping class, and also do the Gambler's Choice.  Mrs. Banks only wanted me doing 1 class, but I had asked her if I could do the Gambler's Choice just for fun, and she had given in. I couldn't believe that she had said yes, but I couldn't be happier!  

I hopped into Leo's saddle, then started at a walk on a loose rein.  I relaxed as I let him walk around, and worked on using my legs and weight to steer him.  After a ton of exercises at the walk, I bumped him into the trot.  

For the next 30 minutes, I worked through transitions and turns.  After Leo began to breathe a little harder, I decided to call it quits, and hit the trails.

I had already texted my friends to see if they wanted to join, but they were either studying, or going to tutoring sessions with their teachers.  Leo and I were on our own today, but that's alright.  It would be good to just escape from everything and everyone.  At boarding school, it seems impossible to get any time to yourself.

I listened to the soft crunch of the leaves under Leo's hooves.  The trails here were so serene, it was impossible to think about the exams I should be studying for.  I cringed at the thought of my civics exam to come - it was scheduled for Friday.  I have all week to study for it, I told myself, so don't worry about it now.

We finished our trail ride in what seemed like seconds, but was really around 25 minutes.  I untacked him and did my evening chores, then said goodnight to my sweet sweet boy, then reluctantly shuffled back to my dorm in the cold to go study.

***

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday consisted of sweating through exams and cramming last-minute information into my head for my final exam - civics.  I said a quiet prayer as I entered the classroom, and felt my palms sweat when Ms. Wilkins collected our phones and made us set our belongings at the front of the room and away from our desks.  I sat down with my #2 pencil, and went over everything in my head.  The U.S. has a federal structured government, with a bicameral legislature, I replayed in my head, and then Ms. Wilkins passed out the test, and the clock started.

***

"Pencils down," Ms. Wilkins commanded, and I set my pencil down after quickly changing one of my answers.  Then the bell rang, and I scurried as fast as I could out of that class after grabbing my bag and my phone.

The rest of my classes flew by.  We didn't do much now that exams were over, and fall break was next week!  The split second my last exam ended it was like a weight lifted off of my shoulders.  Now, my focus was on the show.  Then, I could hang out with Hailey and, ugh, Hannah, at Hailey's home for the week.