~20~

The next week, I found myself waiting outside Ms. Wilkin's classroom. It was Saturday, but she said those who wanted to find out their scores could come get them today. It was only me and two other girls, one of them being Corrie.

"I'm so nervous," Corrie said. "I really need to do well on this."

"Me too! If I don't get an A, my parents won't let me ride in a clinic the school is hosting for the equestrian team," I said. "I also might not be able to ride at all if my average drops under a B," I added.

"Dang, that's tough. I bet you did fine, you're smart," Corrie replied.

I laughed a little. "Not so much in this class, but thanks."

Ms. Wilkin opened her classroom door and smiled at us. "Come in and I'll show you your grade on the computer."

Corrie was first in line, then the other girl, then me. I watched as Corrie's eyes scanned the screen, and she smiled, whispered to the teacher, then walked out.

"What did you get?" I whispered as she walked past.

"95!" she said, then left the class.

Lucky! I hope I do that well, it would take a miracle, but maybe. As long as it's a 90 or above, I'm safe.

The teacher showed the next girl what she got, who didn't look too happy. I gulped, then nervously walked up to the computer.

"Alright Sabrina, you got... a 91! Good job, and this will bump your average up to a B+," Ms. Wilkins said. Oh my gosh!! I did it!!!!

"Thank you!" I said, then giddily walked out of the class room, and stepped into the fresh air outside the building. I jumped and danced around for a second. I needed this! Leo and I get to do the clinic!!

I whipped out my cell phone, and quickly called Mom.

"Hey sweetie! How are you?" her comforting voice said.

"Good, great actually," I said excitedly.

"Really? What's going on?" Mom said in her 'I know you're hiding something from me' voice.

"I got an A on my civics test!" I announced.

"That's great sweetheart! I knew you'd do well," she said.

"So....does that mean I get to ride in the clinic?" I pressed.

"A deal's a deal," she replied.

"Yes!! Thank you Mom thank you thank you!!!!" I exclaimed.

She laughed. "You're welcome. Well, I've got some chores to do, and I'm guessing that you have something to do on this wonderful, Halloween day," she said.

"Yep! I'm on my way to go get Leo ready for the kids at the children's hospital to come trick-or-treating at the stable," I explained.

"Nice, well have fun, and I'll talk to you soon. I love you."

"Love you too! Bye," I said, then hung up. I headed for my dorm to pick up some things, but before that I needed candy.

I hurried Downtown to the little convenience shop and grabbed 2 bags of Sour Patch Kids and Swedish Fish mix. I wouldn't get any chocolate just in case some of the horses got nosy and ate some.

As I handed the cashier my I.D. card, I heard the awful sound of Rachel's voice. I allowed myself to eavesdrop as she too was picking out candy.

"Please, she won't find out! And if she does, would it be so bad? You got what you really wanted, right?" she said. Oh my gosh. What was she talking about? Who was she plotting against?