~13~

I walked with Anna to our usual hall.  We chatted about the dance a little bit as we walked.  She had told me about the stunning silver decorations, fancy food, and the boys and girls from the other schools.  I was getting really pumped for it!

We split up, and I sat in my desk, and allowed myself to get sucked into the lesson about finding good resources for our debate essays.

As I copied down the notes that were on the white board, our teacher talked about our next major project.

"You will be signing up for debate topics, and you will be debating each other.  You will also write a debate essay, and your rough draft and final draft will count as one test grade, and your actual debate will count as one test grade," she said.  I nodded, and copied it down in my planner.  Boy, I was gonna be busy with this new project and all of the other homework I have.  Not to mention riding and caring for Leo....

The bell rang a while later, and everyone was whisked off to their second period class.  As I made my way to my class, I heard a voice that I recognized.

"But Mrs. Winstead, can't I get any type of extra credit opportunities?" whined Rachel.  A stubborn looking teacher shook her head, and Rachel looked on the verge of tears. "But you don't understand, I have to keep my grade as a B or better! My parents will get upset with me, and I won't be able to ride..." she listed off, and I almost felt sorry for her.  It would really stink if you had to give up riding because of low grades.

I made a note in my planner to check all of my grades.  To stay on the riding team, you had to have at least B's in all of your classes.  I really had to work hard at school, or that meant no riding for me.

This helped me stay focused for the rest of the day.  If paying attention in class and getting good marks was what it's gonna take to keep me on the riding team, then so be it.

***

I marched eagerly to the stable, dressed in chocolate colored breeches and a gray hoodie.  The air was beginning to have a chill to it, and the leaves were getting a yellow-y tinge to them.  Fall was coming, and there was no stopping it.

I quickly visited Leo before I grabbed Wesley from the pasture.  He was in a different pasture than Leo, but he was easy to catch.

I groomed him, then laid my baby blue saddle pad on top of his orange-y/red back, and then fitted my saddle on top.  I grabbed his bridle from the TCA horse's side of the tack room, and slipped it over his head.  He was very obedient as I got him ready, then we headed out to the large ring.

Clouds covered up the shining sun, and the cool air made all of the horses a little fresh.  I could feel Wesley moving with more excitement under me, and the other horses reacted the same.

"Good afternoon girls! Today, we're going to be keeping up with our dressage practice, so everyone get your horses into a working trot, and we'll start from there," called out Mrs. Banks.  I pushed Wesley into a trot, and collected the reins a bit.  I put some pressure on the reins, and he worked into it and rounded his neck.  He was doing awesome for only the first few minutes of the lesson!

We continued to work at this pace, and then we accelerated into a canter.  Mrs. Banks had us collect their canters, and this was a bit harder, but doable.

"Bring them down and give them a short break," she said, and we slowed our horses, and I let Wesley amble along the rail.

After a couple minutes of walking, Mrs. Banks had us meet in the center again.

"We are going to each go through this simple dressage test that I've made," she said, then told us the pattern.

At the letter A, enter at a working, posting trot.  Halt at X, and salute to the judge (Mrs. Banks).