Chapter 3

The room fell deathly quiet after Nector had said that one word. Ogres. Karma looked at her companions, who could only look back. Minutes passed before anyone could work up the courage to speak. "Did you say ogres?" Karma asked the sprite. The sprite, who looked at them with tired blue eyes, nodded.

"They came by thousands." He said. "We didn't even have the chance to defend ourselves." Nector dropped his gaze and turned to look at the wall again. Silence filled the room once more. The head of infirmary came over with a tray that had a glass of water, a plate with fruits, and a bowl filled with herbs on it. She offered the glass to Nector, who gave her a suspicious look.

"It's not poison, son. Just drink it." The head said, offering the glass once more. The sprite took it and drank gentle sips. When he was done, the head took it and began to mix up the bowl of herbs. After mixing and smashing, she sprinkled it on the plate of fruit and gave it to Nector. "It's to help with the pain." She explained and left. Nector didn't eat the fruit, instead, he looked at Karma and her companions, ready for any questions that they may have.

Mika was the one who stepped forward and asked, "why did the ogres invade your village?" Nector shook his head.

"It wasn't just my village they raided it was all the villages near the ogre border... soon they'll raid all across the Sprite Clan. I barely escaped with my life!" He then, fell silent.

"But why?" Mika asked again. The sprite looked up at the she-elf, a small glimmer of regret in his eyes.

"I all I know is that they raided and captured us, those who rebelled were killed, those who were too small or too young, were also killed. We were forced to work in their mines, digging for precious jewels and gems." Mika looked at Karma, shaking her head. This sprite as apparently been through a lot. "I escaped in hoping the Creator herself would help save my people." He looked at Karma, hopefully.

Karma placed a gentle hand on the sprite's arm. "Nector," she said. "I will do everything in my power to help save your people."

----

"That's outrageous!" Head-council Marcus yelled. "You cannot do it!" At the council room, the councils gathered with another meeting with the Creator. Karma had simply requested that they hold off on the picking of the king or queen, only so she could deal with the crisis at hand.

"What not?!" Karma said, standing up from her chair. "I am the Creator of Arula, and it is my job to protect it. Not looking for some person to rule the human kingdom." The head's eye twitch ever-so slightly. Licking his lips, he tried to contain his anger.

"Because," he said in a low dangerous tone. "The only crisis at hand is picking the rightful person to rule. Not go cross-land to save a clan of fairies."

"They're sprites, and for one, you are the council, therefore you have to listen to me and to only give me advice when needed." Karma said. This time, it was head-council Marcus' turn to stand.

"Our job." He spat. "Is to make sure that whatever plan our next ruler has, is not one to destroy Arula. Our job is to give advice and help the situation when needed. We. Do. Not. Serve. You." Karma squinted her eyes at the head-council. Then, turning on her heels, she walked out. "And where do you think you're going?!" The head demanded.

"Anywhere I please!" She shouted back. "And I don't need your dumb advice to know what's right for my land. I'm the Creator, the and only, so I can do whatever I damn-well please!" The door to room opened then closed with a bang, leaving the councils unsure what to do next.

"Um, sir?" Asked one of the council members. "What do we suppose we do now? Apparently, this Creator was as crazy as the last." Head-Council Marcus said nothing. He just stared. Then, he spoke,

"We pray that this one doesn't turn out like the last."

----

"Please tell me you didn't?" Omar asked, as they walked down the hallway.

"Of course, I did!" Karma said, defensively and Omar groaned. "What else am I supposed to do? Let them control me? Let them lock me in my room until I choose a king or queen?" She huffed and kicked the air. In Karma defense, she was tired of being told what to do and how to do it. All her life that's what people did. And now, she created a whole world, a place where no one, and no thing, can tell what to do. Until now.

Omar shook his head. "Maybe, instead of jumping into conclusions, you should listen and consider their advice." As he said this, he could feel Karma's deathly stare on him. "I only tell the truth." Karma snorted at the statement. They continued to walk around the palace in silence. Only the sound of their shoes hitting the marble floor could be heard. Angel came trotting behind her master and nuzzled her head under Karma's hand. Karma responded by stroking the fox's head. After a while, Omar spoke. "You know," he said. "I talked to Mika about your issue. She's of course had agreed to help you." Omar looked over at Karma, a rain of hope simmered in her eyes.

She nodded. "Good, glad to hear it. Now maybe I can finally get some peace for once in my life." Later that night, Karma sat at her desk looking at her latest drawing. A picture of a small cat looked back at her. Sighing, she closed and locked it. She ran her hands over her face, tiredly. Behind her, Angel whimpered softly from on the bed. "I'm alright, girl." Karma said to Angel. "I'm just a little tired is all." Getting up from the chair, she walked over to her window and sat down on the outstretch bench. She rearranged the pillows behind her and stared out the window. The bright tan moon shined behind the night clouds making it look like an episode of Scooby-Doo or the beginning of some terrible horror movie.

Outside, Karma's eyes rested on tree down below. On one of the branches sat a bat-like creature. Though, Karma couldn't make out its form, but its shape look like a bat sitting straight up instead upside down. Tilting her head to the side, she strained her eyes to get a better look, but like it was sensing Karma was watching it, it flew away. Puzzled, Karma swung her legs over the bench and got up. She snuggled underneath her think blankets and closed her eyes. Soon, she felt as Angel crawled along the bed to join her. Self-consciously, Karma wrapped her arms round the long-tailed fox's body and fell asleep.