Chapter 10

The sound of horses trotting around the camp had woken the travelers up from their restless sleep. As tired as they were, they still armed themselves, ready for battle. Sprites riding on this beast came their way. They circled the camp, spears in hands. They stood there in all of their glory. They were all men, shirtless with only a strap across their bare chest, clear, magnificent wings sprang from their backs. One sprite, kicked his horse's flank and the beast moved forward. The sprite pointed his spear at the group, his large magenta eyes moving from elf, to dwarf, to human, and to sprite. "You have reached the border of the Sprite Clan," he said in loud, strong voice. "All those who enter must speak their business, if not, they are to leave immediately, or they will suffer the penalties."

Karma cleared her throat and stepped forward, the sprites around her all pointed their spears at her. "I am the Creator," she said in a steady voice. "Your queen, Luska, has summoned me... these-" she gestured to companions "-are my friends, they wish you no harm as I do not either." Karma then motioned to Nector. "He is dire need of your help. He escaped the ogres and needs medical attention, he came to Shurli and my healers did what they could to heal him. We brought him along so that way he may return home and have the proper medicine." Mummers went among the soldier of sprites and their leader silenced them in their tongue.

"Welcome to Yunalla, Creator," he said. "We shall bring you to our queen immediately. Come, we must hurry."

----

The village of Yunalla was a sight to see. The whole city was one huge garden. Must like Singen, the sprite village from where Karma and Omar had once brought a young sprite, Agla, to when she was taken from her home. It had hut like houses on top of a giant tree with bridges leading from one place to another. But unlike Singen, this place had huts on the ground as well, mostly market huts where sprites alike entered and left each hut. In the middle of it all, stood a palace. It was so tall that it broke the canopy of trees. It was beautifully designed with ivy and flowers that grew up the palace walls.

As the travelers entered the village, Karma couldn't help but look up and see the open canopy above. The trees looked as if someone had simply moved the branches of trees just to let the sun shined down on the village. And more Karma looked, the more she saw. The branches were moved! Tree vines swung from around the trees holding the branches back, much like a certain when you wanted to let some light shine into your room. Nector must have saw Karma's amazement for he laughed. "Aye," he said. "How else are we supposed to celebrate the sun if we can't see its wonderful light?" Karma just smiled as they went through the village and to the palace. After dropping off the wolves in the stables, the sprite leader led them into the palace and down many corridors until they reached the throne room.

The travelers gaped at the wonderful room. The room looked like the enchanted forest with green everywhere. Vines grew from every inch on the walls and branches stretch from one side of the room to the other. Flowers of different colors and types grew where they please. The throne was made from stone. The stone had cracks with green moss growing out from it and upon the throne sat her highness herself, Queen Luska.

The sprite queen sat on her throne with full pride. She was thin with autumn hair and very bright blue eyes that glow like the moon flowers in the Umber Forest. Her figure itself was stick like and the most beautiful wings that reflected off the sun's light, making her look almost god like or an angel sent down from the lord. She wore a braided stick crown on her head, much like King Curlus' crown back in Abaddon. Queen Luska watched them entered with tired eyes, but her thin red lips turned into a smile. "Creator," she said in a musical voice. "You've arrived, bienvenidas!"*1

Karma bowed before the queen. "The honor is all mine, Your Highness, I just wish I could've come sooner." Queen Luska stood before Karma, raising her hand indicting for Karma to stand. When she did, the queen spoke,

"No, it is I who should bow to you," and just to prove it, the queen bowed. "For if you hadn't come when I sent for you, I'd fear the worse for my people." Queen Luska glanced at the sprite, Nector, who stood some feet back. "And what do we have here?"

"I am Nector, su majestad,"*2 Nector said, stepping forward. "I was enslaved by the ogres, I escaped barely with my life. I fly to Shurli in hoping to seek the Creator's help. I fell ill, but the healers there did what they could. I have decided to come home when I heard the news that the Creator and her faithful companions were on their way to come here. And that way, as well, I can get the proper healing." Nector showed the queen the rest of his injures and the queen gasped.

"Oh, querido!"*3 She said, then called for a guard in her tongue. When the guard came forward, she spoke back in the human tongue. "Take our brethren to the healers, make sure that they heal him good." With those words, the guard bowed and guided Nector away, but not before he said,

"Thank you, su majestad." And he was gone.

"Now," Queen Luska said, glancing at Karma and her friends. "It looks like you've had a long journey, please except my invitation to stay here under my roof. My people will provide you with clean clothes, a warm bath, and fresh food. Then, once you've freshened up, we may discuss the matter at hand."

----

"Ahh," Karma said as she slipped into the warm water. The water felt good on her aching muscles. Steam rolled around her bathroom, steaming the mirror and the small window off to the right. When she finished washing herself, she dressed and tied her wet red hair back in a ponytail. She took a towel cleaned some of the steam off the mirror and gazed into it. Her once bright green eyes looked glazed and dark, a whole new person stared back at her. That much she didn't like. Karma straighten her tunic shirt and tugged at her leggings as they begin to wedge up on her.

Her main room was big enough, with a twin bed, a desk pushed into a corner along with a chair. A small window stood off to her right, the circled window was clearly not meant for a human, herself, to look through. It was at least a head taller than Karma and she had to stand on her tip toes to see outside. Which she didn't really care for. A dresser on the other side of the room was filled with new clothing for Karma to wear as she stayed.

When Karma sat down her bed, the familiar pain in her head suddenly came throbbing back. Karma held her hands to her head and rubbed her temples. She reached inside her satchel and found the jar of mint leaves. She took a leaf that was already half broken and popped it in her mouth. She was relieved when the throbbing started to go away. Laying back on the bed, she stared at leaf covered ceiling and thought miserably, when will it end. And strangely, she knew thought she already knew the answer. Never.

*1 "bienvenidas" ~ "welcome"

*2 "su majestad" ~ "your majesty"

*3 "oh, querido" ~ "Oh, dear"