Chapter 15

Karma was led down a stony corridor. Everything looked the same. A simple black rug outlined the floors and few paintings hung and few statues stood against the walls. After that, it was as plain as the stone the castle was built from. Karma, with tired eyes, looked out the glassless windows as she walked. It was midday. Strange, she thought. We came here around midday. How is it still midday? Then that's when she came to a conclusion, they did come here at midday. Midday yesterday. They were for twenty-four hours, literally. And I haven't even slept, she groaned mentally.

The sound of the throne room doors creaking returned Karma's attention back to her present situation. Her fingers found her key necklace that laid lazily on her chest. She rubbed her fingers over the top of the key and traced the dragon that sat on top. With the book clutched in her other hand, Karma stepped into the brightly lit room. Karma had to squint her eyes as she entered. The king sat on his throne, staring her down as she approached. "Well?" King Bosca said, drawling out the word.

"I've done it," Karma said in a tired voice. "I created a creature for you that will be able to help your men down in the mines."

"Let's see it then," the king perched himself on the edge on his throne, ready to see what the Creator had made.

"Not here," Karma said. "I have no idea what this creature will do once I release it. We need to go down to one of your mines." King Bosca leaned back in his seat, his black eyes narrowing.

"So be it."

----

It was a long walk down to the mines and that's when Karma realized how tired she was. Her head was starting to feel fuzzy and her eyes droop down. If she was looking at a mirror right now, she'll probably look like a zombie brought back to life. With bags under her eyes and solemn look, she could probably be passed by as a local drunk or someone who took too many drugs. Luckily, she done none of those.

The smell of rock dust hit her nose and it was just enough to wake her up just a bit. But, not enough. Karma could hear the clinks and clanks of the sprites working down in the mine, and it made Karma angry. The King walked with pride as he entered the mine with his huge head held high. In their tongue, King Bosca spoke to one of his guards, who rang a bell just a few feet away. The ringing of the bell echoed through the whole mine making all the sprites and ogres stop what they were doing. Karma scrunched up her shoulders to try to lessen the loud sound. A huge crowd of them came over, mummering and whispering.

The spites looked tired and banged up. They were skinny with their bones showing. It made Karma think one of those commercials where they have the dogs and cats who were suffering and need of a good home or the ones with the starving children, either way, it fueled the fire in Karma's hatred. King Bosca pushed Karma forward. "Get a move on, Creator, I don't have all day."

Taking in a deep breath, Karma sat down on the cold cave floor and opened her book up. She began the all so familiar ritual. "Ad animam quae fuerat I create est," She began, just as she was instructed to do. The book started to glow. "Da mettere in questo mondo, para que todas las testigo," The book glowed brighter with each word Karma spoke. "Laat hierdie skepping toe, pour amener une nouvelle ere, der Welt Frieden bringen!" There was a flash of light as Karma finished the ritual and several sprites screamed and scurried off while the ogres chased them down to stop them from escaping. King Bosca and the ogre captain both shield their eyes from the bright light. The light then slowly started to crease, and Karma could feel the energy draining from her. She was starting to feel weak and collapsed on the cave floor, exhausted. There was suddenly howling noise that shook the cave walls making rock dust fall.

Karma opened her tired eyes to look at her new creation. It was bear-like with small devil horns on of its head, long furry ears, and muscular arms and feet with razor sharp claws. The creature itself was the size of a bear cub. Its small muzzle sniffed around the cave curiously, its black beady eyes staring down at Karma.

"What is it?" King Bosca said in both fear and fascination. Karma had to clear her throat before she spoke.

"I call it a baccra." She mumbled her head very much groggy. "I created to help you find gems and jewels. Its small nose is as powerful as a saber-tooth wolf, but stronger and made to sniff out rocks. Though the baccra isn't as perfect as I would want it to be. And creating something that does what you want it could take almost years to make. So, with the time I had, I stayed up all night drawing this. It may not be to where I want it, but if it helps you find your precious gems, then it has completed its purpose."

King Bosca circled the creature with judging eyes. The crowd of sprites and ogres soon came back to look at the new creature call a baccra. "But does it work?" The King asked.

"Only one way to find out," Karma said and tried to stand up, but found she couldn't. She was too weak, too tired. She fell back down in exhaustion. Two pair of fragile hands grabbed her gently and helped her up. Karma looked to see two sprites, both men, holding her. One of them bent down and grabbed her book and handed it back. "Thank you." She said softly. They smiled and slowly let go of Karma. Once Karma found her footing, she walked over to a cart filled with gems and picked one up. She whistled for the baccra's attention, who was busy sniffing around. Its ears perked up to the sound of Karma's whistling and turned toward her.

It slowly came up to her, like what a dog does when it first meets you. It sniffed her hand and licked it with a rough tongue. Karma held out the gem in which the baccra sniffed. With a sudden howl that echoed in the mine, it ran off deep within. "Follow it!" Bellowed the King and they raced after the baccra. The baccra, with its nose to the floor, went about in circles. With another howl, it ran up to an already dug area and clawed at the cave wall. "Someone dig that up!" King Bosca order and a border looking ogre grabbed a pickaxe and dug up a few rubies.

King Bosca's eyes shined with greed. "Well done, Creator. Well done indeed."