Chapter 19

A funeral was held the following morning. The late Queen was wrapped in cloth and placed upon a stone table where wood was stacked around it. The villagers gathered around their dead Queen and wept. Husbands held their wives and mothers held their children. Karma, along with Omar and Dagner, stood by the captain Alastar and the other royal guards. The captain cleared his for silence among the weeping crowd and prepared a small speech.

"Our late Queen, Queen Luska, daughter of King Muiler and Queen Beatra, has past and is on her way to join the Gods above. We pray to Hekate that she will help guide our Queen to Gods' Temple, where she will be placed among them." The Captain took a deep breath as he spoke then he continued, "we shall now let our Queen's spirit free so you may take it and guide it." With those words, Captain Alastar took a burning torch and gent sat it by the late Queen's body.

The flames slowly licked the wood and spread outward and around. It then rose and covered the Queen's body with its deadly bite. Silence filled the village as every sprite watched their Queen's spirit was set free. Sparks flew into the air and floated away toward the Gods. When the flames started to die, Alastar continued.

"Since our beloved Queen had no children of her own and with no other royal heirs to sit in her place, the royal guards will take her place until a suitable heir can be found. We will search far and wide and go to every lord's manor to find a suitable king or queen. Until then, go back and live your normal lives."  And with that, the crowd slowly started to disperse all except for Karma and her companions.

----

Karma watched a little longer as the Queen's body became no more. The flames that reflected in her eyes haunted her, gave her hatred for the cloaked man who started this. Closing her eyes, Karma took a deep breath. "Come on," Omar said softly to his friend. "There's no more we can do." The three friends walked among the grieving village and made their way over to a row of tents. With the palace destroyed by the fire, the servants, royal guards, lords, ladies, and along with Karma and her friends had to stay in tents outside the palace until it was restored.

They entered Karma's tent. Her tent was small with a one cot and a chair sitting in the corner of the tent. Omar took the chair, Karma the cot, and Dagner chose the floor to sit on. All was silence until Karma spoke up. "It's all my fault." She said, eyes cast down.

"Don't beat yourself up, Lass," Dagner said. "It twas' no one's fault."

"But mine," Karma said and shut her eyes.

"Karma?" Omar said, leaning forward on the small chair. "What happened to you?" And so, Karma told her loyal companions about her encounter with the mysterious cloaked figured and what he said. After her story was said, silence once more filled the tent. Omar sat back in his chair, staring off into space, and Dagner clucked his tongue in thought.

"And that's when I came rushing back here and found the palace on fire. I should've never walked that way, I should have kept going." Karma said, her head bowed and ashamed.

"I'm sorry, Karma," Omar said. "But you have to know, it wasn't your fault... what happened, it wasn't. It was whoever that man's fault. You had every right to investigate what you heard, any of us would." Karma said nothing. "We better get packing," the elf continued. "We leave first thing tomorrow." Omar patted Karma' shoulder as he walked past and left the tent.

"It'll be all right, Lass, you'll see," Dagner said to her and gave her a friendly pat on the back. "We'll catch the brute that did this, don't you worry." Karma gave her dwarven friend a small smile before he stumbled out of her tent. Smacking her lips, Karma reached under her pillow and pulled out the small box that contained the ring. It was the only thing, besides satchel that carried her book and mint leaves, that survive the fire.

Opening it, she could see the beautiful ring and all its glory. The sun reflection that gleamed it, shined brightly. She could feel the tears as they threatened to spill, and she closed the box and slid it into her satchel. With little items she had left, Karma packed and got ready to leave the next morning.

----

"We would like to thank you again for all you have done for us, Creator," Captain Alastar said that following morning. "Even though it didn't go how any of would have except it go." Karma shook the Captain's hand.

"The pleasure was mine, Captain, I just wish there was something I could've done," Karma said, and the Captain shook with head.

"Unless you make a device to turn back time, then no, I don't think so,"

"Even if I could, Captain, I wouldn't. Everything happens for a reason, whether it was good or bad." The Captain nodded in agreement and cupped her hands earnestly.

"I wish you luck on your journey home."

"Thank you. And you must send me word once an heir to the throne has been found."

"I give you my word, Creator, fair well." The Captain said, releasing her hand and taking a few steps back. It was Nector who stepped up next. He looked well. He no longer looked the way he did the first-time Karma had seen him and she was happy for that. And with even greater news, his wings were healed and ready to be used once more.

"Fair well, Creator, I thank you for all you had done for me. And now my sister may rest knowing that she has be avenged and all sprites had been free... I wish she was here to see this." He said and Karma placed a hand on his shoulders.

"Trust me," she said. "She can see you from the Gods' Temple." Nector smiled. He reached over giving Karma a big hug.

"Until we see each other again, Karma," he said, whispering her name. Karma didn't question, probably thinking at one point her real name had slipped out somewhere during the journey. She smiled at the sprite

"Until then." She said. Nector stepped back into the crowd and watched as Karma hopped on Samson's back. She patted the ryder wolf's side and rode up beside Omar and Dagner. "Ready to see your wife and child again?" She asked. Omar smiled.

"Can't wait," was his answer.

"Then let's go home."