The Swollen-footed, Oedipus

Chapter 2 - The Swollen-footed, Oedipus

In the town of Corinthian, it turns out that the king and queen were unable to have children of their own.

“Oh Polybus, why won’t heaven give us a child? Why?” the queen asked desperately, hugging the king tightly.

“We shall wait for it, day or night. That day will come, dear Merope.” He pated the head of the crying queen.”

Then the shepherd who found a child learned about this. He thought he can give the little boy as a gift to the king and queen of Corinth.

“My king and queen, I come to deliver this boy as a gift.” He presented the boy to the royal couple.

“I found this child on the middle of the mountain. As I thought, you might want to adopt this poor child as your own?”

The king and queen were delighted and without a little thought, he retorted. “Well, of course, it would be my pleasure.” With the queen hold the child with her two lovely hands.

“I am very happy” the queen looked at the king with a smile so sweet.

So with these, they resolved to adopt the child and named it.

“From now on, I’ll call you Oedipus! Which also mean ‘swollen-footed’.” Which she sees the boy’s feet bleeding and hurting.

Like anyone in this world, he grew up sturdy and strong. The boy grew up believing himself to be the true born son of the royal pair. All went well until one day a drunken reveler taunted him with being nothing of the sort.

“Ukh…” The drunk blew some hiccups.

“Oedipus, I got to tell you something.” With another hiccup he continues his statement.

“You’re not really the son of the Royal pair.” With this Oedipus was puzzled.

“You’re adopted, Oedipus.”