The Truth between the Lies

Chapter 4 – the truth between the lies

He now feels much more inclined to agree with the queen in deeming prophecies worthless and viewing chance as the principle governing the world.

Aha!!! “So the prophecy wasn’t true, but – “

But while Oedipus finds great comfort in the fact that one-half of the prophecy has been disproved, he still fears the other half—the half that claimed he would sleep with his mother.

The messenger remarks that Oedipus need not worry, because Polybus and his wife, Merope, are not Oedipus’s biological parents.

“Don’t worry about it Oedipus.”

Huh?

“King Polybus and queen merope is not your real parents. One day long ago, he was tending his sheep when another shepherd approached him carrying a baby, its ankles pinned together. The messenger took the baby to the royal family of Corinth, and they raised him as their own. That baby was you, Oedipus.”

With the sudden revelation, Oedipus asks who the other shepherd was, and the messenger answers that he was a servant of Laius.

“So who was the shepherd?”

Uhm… The messenger thinks for a second before answering. “It was one of Laius’ servant.”

“I want to see this servant.” Oedipus reckoned.

The messenger suggests that Jocasta should be able to help identify the servant and help unveil the true story of Oedipus's birth.

Jocasta, beginning to suspect the truth, begs her husband not to seek more information.

“No, Jocasta, I swore to unravel this mystery, and will follow through on my words.

She runs back into the palace. The Chorus senses that something bad is about to happen and join Jocasta's cry in begging the mystery to be left unresolved.

“No!!!  I, Oedipus, again swear that I will figure out this secret, no matter how vile the answer is.

Oedipus's men lead in an old shepherd, who is afraid to answer Oedipus's questions. The shepherd refuses to disclose anything, and Oedipus threatens him with torture.

“I order you to reveal the truth and only the truth. Or you’ll suffer the realm of hell here and now!!!”