The King of Thebes

VOLUME 3 - Oedipus the King

Chapter 1 – the king of Thebes

The kingdom wasn't as prosperous as it has been ravage by unknown plague. A plague has struck Thebes and a Priest begs Oedipus, the most cunning and intelligent of all men, to find a solution.

"My king, I beg you. Thebes is suffering a plague which leaves its fields and women barren. We need to find a solution to this matter." The priest begged as on his bended knees.

With this, Oedipus has already sent a messenger in the form of his brother-in-law, Creon, to the oracle at Delphi in order to find out how he might appease Apollo and stop the plague.

"Creon, I command you to go to the house of Apollo and asked the oracle on how to stop the ravaging plague."

"As you command!"

Creon set his journey to Delphi and asked the oracle about that matter.

Creon returns, bearing good news.

"The city itself is unclean as it harbors the killer of Laius, and he must be found and punished before the city can become cleansed."

Hearing this, Oedipus swears he will find the murderer and banish him. The Chorus (representing the people of Thebes) suggests that Oedipus consult Teiresias, the blind prophet.

"I hereby declare that the murderer of the former king of Thebes, Laius, must be found and to be executed." He proudly stated.

Oedipus tells them that he has already sent for Teiresias.

"I already ordered my guard to summon Teiresias."