Lies of Fate and Destiny

Chapter 3 – Lies of fate and destiny

Oedipus’s wife, Jocasta (also the widow of King Laius), enters and asks why the men shout at one another. Oedipus explains to Jocasta that the prophet has charged him with Laius’ murder, and Jocasta replies that all prophecies are false.

“Jocasta, Creon, your brother, have conspired with the prophet and accused me with Laius’ murder.”

“Now, now, Oedipus, there is no truth in oracles or prophets, and I have a proof.”

“Long ago an oracle told Laius that his own son would kill him, and as a result he and I gave our infant son to a shepherd to leave out on a hillside to die with a pin through its ankles. Yet Laius was killed by robbers, not by his own son, proof that the oracle was wrong.”

This made Oedipus rest at peace. But something about her story troubles Oedipus; she said that Laius was killed at a place where three roads meet, and this reminds Oedipus of an incident from his past, when he killed a stranger at a place where three roads met.

What if that stranger… Eh.., no no no.. it can’t be. But what if?

He asks her to describe Laius, and her description matches his memory. Yet Jocasta tells him that the only eyewitness to Laius's death, a herdsman, swore that five robbers killed him. Oedipus summons this witness.

 “I want to see the witnesses. Bring them here!”

While they wait for the man to arrive, Jocasta asks Oedipus why he seems so troubled. Oedipus tells her the story of his past. Once when he was young, a man he met told him that he was not his father's son. He asked his parents about it, and they denied it. Still it troubled him, and he eventually went to an oracle to determine his true lineage. The oracle then told him that he would kill his father and marry his mother. This prophecy so frightened Oedipus that he left his hometown and never returned. On his journey, he encountered a haughty man at a crossroads - and killed the man after suffering an insult.

Outside the palace, a messenger approaches Jocasta and tells her that he has come from Corinth to inform Oedipus that his father, Polybus, is dead, and that Corinth has asked Oedipus to come and rule there in his place.

"Yes, I am a messenger from Corinth. King Polybus has died.”

Jocasta rejoices, convinced that Polybus’s death from natural causes has disproved the prophecy that Oedipus would murder his father.

“I’m glad to hear that. So I have even more proof in the uselessness of oracles.”

At Jocasta’s summons, Oedipus comes outside, hears the news, and rejoices with her.

“Where are you Oedipus?”

“I’m here. What is it?” Oedipus asked.

“A messenger have come from Corinth and said that your father, Polybus has died.”