Our Song (4)

I really didn't like lying to my parents or my friends, but sometimes I had to. Considering how my they reacted to certain things, lying to them was the best thing I could do to get them off my back for once.

I had blown Cassie and Leslie off to hang out, telling them that I was just too busy. When they asked me what I was too busy with, I didn't go into detail, and I quickly hung up on them before they could ask me anymore questions.

"Who are you hanging out with today, Leah?" my mother asked me as I hurried to get ready. I bit my lip, trying to remember who I had told her I was going to hang out with on that Saturday. Leslie, Cassie? Or was it someone else? This was just added a lot of unneeded stress on me. I had already woken up late and was rustling around the house to get ready on time.

"Um, Cassie and Leslie," I excused, praying that that was who I had said the first time she asked me.

My mother eyed me suspiciously for a moment, and I held my breath. Had I said a different answer this time?

She then nodded. "Alright. I'll see you later, then."

I let out a sigh when she was out of earshot. That was definitely a close one.

It was a good thing when my mother didn't catch me in a lie. I would have gotten in a lot of trouble if she had. My mother always seemed to be able to tell when I was lying to her, and she always overreacted to everything. If she knew I was lying about where I was going, she'd think I was going to go off and do drugs or something.

My father wasn't like that. He was more laid-back, and he wasn't uptight like my mom. He'd let me do more things with more people, and he'd trust me more than my mother ever did. I was definitely closer to my dad than I was with my mom, but she didn't think that. My mother thought we were so close that we were practically the same person. She thought I shared everything with her.

I didn't tell my mother who I was really hanging out with because I knew she wouldn't approve. She reminded me of Cassie when she acted this way. Sometimes I thought Cassie was really my mother's daughter, and I wasn't. They were just alike in so many ways.

Even if it was for a project, there was no way my mother would allow me to go see Blake. She wouldn't even listen to me if I tried to tell her that Blake was my partner and he was actually a really good guy. She'd probably go complain to the school, like she usually did.

I left as quickly as I could so my mother couldn't ask me anymore questions, meeting Blake where I told him we would. He wasn't there yet, which relieved me just a little bit. So I wasn't that late... That was good.

When he finally got there, we went into the diner and were seated. We sat there in silence like we usually did until I finally decided to speak.

"I'm going to teach you how to talk," I informed him, causing the woman in the booth next to us to give us a strange look. I ignored her, and I didn't even think Blake noticed her. He gave me an uncertain look.

I knew he didn't want to, but I was going to get him to talk, even if it was the last thing I did. I wasn't about to do this project all on my own, and he was going to have to talk to help me.

"Talking isn't that hard," I told him now, moving forward in my seat so I was sitting right on the edge of it. "I mean, I'm doing it right now. Everyone else is doing it, too. I'm assuming you've spoken before, right? You couldn't have always been silent. You've talked normally before?"

Blake nodded, still looking unsure of this whole situation. I didn't blame him for feeling the way he did. It must have been a while since he last spoke.

"Okay—" I started, but was cut off when my phone started to ring. I let out a sigh, looking at the caller ID to see that it was Cassie who was calling me.