Our Song (26)

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me," I chanted like a child as Blake and I walked through the hallways, people glaring at us and occasionally shouting things at us.

Blake laughed from beside me. "You can act like such a kid sometimes."

I shrugged, sticking my tongue out at him, which only made me look even more childish. But still, I wasn't going to let things people said get to me. It had been a week, and I felt so much better after talking to that stranger in front of the diner. I hadn't talked to Sean since, and Cassie only came into contact with me when she was harassing me, but I wasn't going to let it bother me anymore.

"I don't want to go to art today," I now sung under my breath as Blake and I both made our ways to the last period of the day.

Blake laughed again, reaching for my hand and squeezing it. "Is there a particular reason why you don't want to go to art today? Usually you don't really mind it."

"We're getting a new substitute teacher today, and it'll probably be some grumpy old woman who won't let us do anything," I complained, leaning into his shoulder as we continued walking. We ignored the stares that we got from everyone, since it was something that we had gotten used to already.

"You worry too much," Blake laughed again once we got outside the classroom. "Just be happy that the school day's almost over. Then you get to come to Dr. Carlisle's appointment with me and then we get to go back to my place and do whatever you want."

"Whatever I want, huh?" I asked, making a suggesting face at him.

Blake's face turned scarlet, and I couldn't help but giggle and pinch his cheeks. He was literally too adorable for his own good.

He pulled his cheek out of my grasp. "Y--yeah, whatever you want."

I giggled, turning back toward the classroom and starting inside. "Well I'm definitely looking forward to that. I'm just glad I have friends that's cover for me so I don't get I trou--"

When I saw the woman standing at the front of the classroom, I stopped dead in my tracks and stopped talking. This caused Blake to run into my back, but he froze when he saw her too.

"Blake, Leah!" Carrie greeted with a wide grin and a wave. "I saw you two on the class roster! I was really glad that I saw you two were in the same class together!"

Blake and I just stared at her, neither of us knowing why she was even there. We looked around to see if Ms. Cassidy or any frumpy old teacher was somewhere, but there was no other adult but Carrie in the room, if you could really call her an adult...

"What the hell is she doing here?" Blake muttered, a look of almost terror on his face.

"I don't know," I gulped, feeling a little embarrassed as well. It was almost like having your mom being in class with you, in a way. "Do you think she's the substitute?"

I heard Blake gulp. "Well, if she's seen the class roster..."

In a way, it was great that Carrie was the substitute for our class. I mean, I was sure that Blake and I could get away with pretty much anything now, no matter what it was...

"Well, since Ms. Cassidy isn't here and it's Carrie up front," I whispered now, turning toward Blake and grabbing onto his collar. "We can do this and not get in trouble for it."

I pulled him toward me, pressing my lips to his for only a couple seconds because I wasn't very comfortable kissing right in the middle of a classroom with people in it.

"Hey, teacher!" some obnoxious boy shouted from across the room, but this didn't make me pull away from Blake. "PDA isn't allowed in classrooms! Leah and Blake are kissing each other!"