Our Song (18)

I looked over at Sean's seat to see that it was empty, and I couldn't help but feel a little guilty about what had happened earlier that day. I hadn't even meant to slap him, but I did so anyway. I wanted to apologize to him, but at the same time I didn't. I didn't know if he really deserved and apology or not. I mean, he got in a fight with my boyfriend...

"We should hang out today," Cassie suggested as she played with a colored pencil that she was supposed to be using the sketch a flower. "We could go over to my house or go shopping downtown like we used to all the time. Doesn't that sound like fun?"

Honestly, it didn't. I was actually kind of surprised with myself that I used to think that that was fun to do. Now all I thought was fun was hanging out with Blake.

"I'm busy today, Cassie," I informed her now, and it wasn't exactly a lie. I didn't have any plans, but I was going to ask Blake if he wanted to go somewhere or just hang out after class ended. We might have only been dating for a few hours, but we hadn't gone on a real date yet and I really wanted to.

"We never hang out anymore!" Cassie nearly shouted, banging her fist on her desk, which caused more than half the class to look over at us. "What are you always doing that just makes you so busy all the time? Do you have to work on that stupid project with Blake Solo every single freaking day?"

"I have stuff with my family, too," I lied, and I secretly hoped that she wouldn't call my mom to try and debunk what I had just told her. "And Blake and I don't work on the project all the time when we're together. He's my friend too, so sometimes we just hang out."

Cassie looked outraged, and I bit the inside of my lip at what I had said. I knew that she wouldn't like hearing that Blake and I were spending any unnecessary time together, and yet I still told her that I spent time with him just for the fun of it. That was why I couldn't tell her that I was actually dating Blake... It would just make everything worse.

"I honestly don't understand you, Leah," Cassie sighed, looking like she could have broken the colored pencil that was still in her hand. "You go and ditch your real friends for someone who's obviously hanging out with you in hopes that your popularity will rub off on him? He might have not had any friends before, but now he has that Jane girl or whatever."

I glanced over at Blake and Jane, who were sitting together across the room from Cassie and me. I wanted nothing more than to just get up and join them, but I knew that I couldn't. Not because of Cassie, but because of Ms. Cassidy.

"You wouldn't understand, Cassie," I shrugged, knowing that she really wouldn't ever understand how Blake and I felt each other. She still thought I secretly liked Sean even though I kept on rejecting him and saying that I never liked him like that before. "Blake means a lot to me, just like you or Leslie do. He's a nice guy and a good friend."

"But... but Sean!" Cassie nearly bellowed, and I felt like smashing my head against my desk to end my misery. "He's out sick and you don't even care!"

I never said that I didn't care. I just knew that Sean was not out sick. He was obviously ditching class because I slapped him and pretty much picked Blake over him, even though he told me that he loved me.

"Sean's still my friend too, Cassie," I told her now, even though I wasn't so sure. "I'm sure he's fine."

At least, I hoped that he was fine. Sean hadn't ever had a girl reject him before, besides me of course, because he was... well, he was Sean Bakersfield. Almost every single girl in the school loved him, and even though I had rejected him before, it had never been like this. He hadn't ever told me that he loved me and I never physically hurt him. Everything was different, and it honestly scared me a little.