1) He's my best friend, 2) He's incredibly hot, and 3) I've secretly loved him all this time!!! *13*

Chapter 13

..............................................................................................................

(Paige's P.O.V)

Nate's expression changed in a matter of seconds. The intense feeling of relief I'd felt by blurting out the truth was now backfiring. I felt like I'd made the biggest mistake ever. Who blurts something out like that, anyway!?

I should have sat down and slowly explained it all to him, instead of dropping it on him. He was obviously shaken by what I'd said, considering the way he almost swayed on his feet.

While I watched, he took a few steps back until he was literally going down the front steps. He stopped at the rock on my lawn and leaned against it, rubbing his forehead.

"Nate?" I said quietly, moving towards him.

He put up a hand and I stopped still, waiting for some reaction. Instead, he just stood there, a dark frown on his face.

"What kind of joke is this, Paige?" he asked, finally looking up.

I swallowed hard and tried to think of an explanation, how could I tell him what Jonathan was going through? But at the same time, I found myself unable to keep any more secrets.

"Jonathan asked me to do it. He wanted to make Carly jealous." I said lamely.

There was a moment of silence, an old couple passed by and looked at us as if we'd done something illegal. I ignored the dirty looks and focused on Nate again.

"And what was in it for you?" he cocked an eyebrow, patiently waiting for an answer.

I was caught in a trap. The reason I'd gone along with Jonathan's lame plan was to make Nate notice me. But telling him that would be damn embarrassing. He'd hate me for life!

"Why so quiet now, Paige?" Nate asked sarcastically.

I wanted to cry all of a sudden. Just when things seemed to be getting better...

"Nate, it was just a nice act on my side. I wanted to help him." I explained.

He didn't buy it, my explanation only angering him further. He threw his hands in the air and turned around, and I recognized the all too familiar gesture. He was going to leave, again.

Suddenly, I didn't want to explain anything. It wasn't like I'd done anything wrong! I was just being nice. And there was no reason for him to act like I'd betrayed him or something.

I was angry too. He could leave if he wanted!

I was done being the "best friend" when all Nate could ever do was be a darn bully!

............................................................................................................................

(Nate's P.O.V)

I heard the door slam shut behind me.

I took a deep breath and stalked over to the door, practically pounding on it until it was swung open.

Paige stood before me, obviously angry. Her cheeks had gone cherry red and her blue eyes were wide open in anger.

"Why are you still here!?" she yelled in my face.

I found myself taking more deep breaths until I calmed down, though I was beginning to see the humour in the situation. Paige obviously didn't see anything but red at the moment.

"I asked you a question!" she roared.

I realized she was the one yelling when it should have been me. After all, she was the one who'd lied and deceived me!