Chapter 2: Emotional Rollercoaster

(Play the music now)

We went to bed soon after I got home, agreeing to wait until morning to talk about everything. Not once did she let go of me during the night. Her fingers stayed clasped onto my shirt even as she slept. She did not wake all night, which was good. At least she could sleep peacefully. I guess it had been a long day for her.

I didn't sleep very well, with a million questions and thoughts in my head. The same questions over and over, wondering. I did sleep, but not for long. When I woke up, it was still dark outside and I couldn't go back to dream-land. I stayed in place, watching Lexi breathe, her body moving up and down with each deep breath. The sky outside slowly turned from black to purple to blue, and by the time it was morning, I was out of it. I had been staring at the ceiling for who knows how long and looking around at anything else made the room spin.

Lexi stirred around nine thirty in the morning, and I was able to keep my head from being too dizzy to watch her wake up. Her eyes fluttered open and she gave a drowsy smirk my way. /

"Morning, Dino."

"Mornin' Marky." She snuggled closer and closed her eyes again. "I don't wanna get up yet. I wanna stay like this."

"Ditto. But you know we can't." She sighed heavily.

"I know. Can it wait until after breakfast?"

"Sure thing, babe." I kissed her head. It felt a lot like the morning after our first time. Only we weren't having a baby then. That was a whole other universe away.

She sat up, her hair falling in front of her just like that morning, except she had been smiling then. Today, she was sad. I gently placed my hand on her stomach, and she put hers over mine.

"It's weird. I don't feel any different."

"But it's entirely different." She nodded.

"I'm scared, Mark."

"Me too, Dino." I sat up and cupped her face in both my hands, pulling her in for a small good-morning kiss. She quickly pushed me away though and ran to the bathroom. Just like yesterday, I held her hair while she hugged the porcelain god. This was definitely not going away.

I made her breakfast after the little episode, toast and oranges. Simple, but I didn't want to give her anything too much in case it would unsettle her stomach again. She was grateful for it, though, and gobbled it up.

"How long have you known?" I asked, gulping down a glass of milk.

"Actually, just yesterday."

"Just yesterday?!"

"Well, I've been suspicious for a while, but it wasn't until yesterday that I was pretty sure."

"What do you mean you've been suspicious? And pretty sure? You mean you don't know completely?"

"Too many questions! One at a time!"

"Okay okay. Sorry. So what do you mean by suspicious?"

"Well, I've been nausous every morning for a few weeks, but only recently have been actually sick. And I haven't had my time-of-the-month for a while. The last time I had it was a week before we, you know. Did it."

"Okay, before we continue, I have to know. Did you...did you like it?" She genuinely laughed and took a bite of toast before answering.

"If you mean sex, then yes. I actually did. Why else would we have done it a few more times after that night?"

"We haven't done it that much, to be honest."

"Can you blame me though? I don't know much about the topic. And we can't for a while now anyway with this thing in me." She pointed to her stomach and sadly giggled.