Chapter Two - Part One

*

*

I woke up in my own comfy bed that night. It didn't reek of detergent and loss; it didn't have that stupid spring that stabbed me every now and then; and it didn't have the annoying sound of tiny droplets of water dripping out of the water dispenser. It was perfect. Pure bliss.

Or so I thought.

"KATIE MARIE DARLINGTON IF YOU'RE NOT OUT OF BED BY THE TIME I COUNT TO THREE, YOU'RE GOING TO BE IN BIG TROUBLE," I rolled my eyes as the annoying sound of my mother's voice filled the air, the small Yorkshire terrier that was my dog cowering away in the corner of my room. "ONE... TWO," she opened my bedroom door.

"Three," I smiled before ripping off my duvet and jumping out of bed, winking at her before strutting into my bathroom.

"Don't lock the bathroom door Katie," she said, causing me to stop what I was doing and think about her words.

I couldn't lock my bathroom door anymore. As ridiculous as it sounded considering my situation, I had no privacy anymore. I was never to be left in solitude, just in case I had another episode. All knives and sharp things had to be kept away from me in case I fell into temptation and used them on my wrist. My life wasn't the same anymore.

That was the first time I had ever heard those words, and I knew it wouldn't be the last. My parents had never reacted to my episodes like that, they'd never deprived me from being in a bathroom alone, or being in the kitchen alone. I knew it was the first of many other things I wouldn't be able to do.

I shook the negative thoughts away before running myself a bath and undressing myself, wincing as the fresh cuts on my wrist hit the water, the memories of what I had done the night before came flooding back.

The crying. The blade. The first cut. It was all too familiar to me.

I closed my eyes as I sighed deeply, a wave of regret washing over me as my actions last night kept replaying in my mind.

*flashback*

"Katie do it. It's not going to get any better, they don't know you like you do. They stopped you from ending the pain, you can't trust them," the thoughts in my mind danced around my head as I held onto the blade, my hands trembling as the blade pierced my skin.

I'd just been dropped home from the hospital and my nan has already had a go at me. "YOU'RE WORTHLESS! YOU'LL NEVER BE A TRUE DARLINGTON!" my heart raced as my grandmother's words repeated itself over and over again, digging the blade deeper into my skin.

"Aah!" I squeaked, the blade dropping into the floor, along with some of the blood from my wrist.
*

end of fashback*