Chapter Twenty Nine

*

*

Dear Katie,

If you're reading this, I'm no longer alive and the medication hasn't worked. Albeit, I knew it wouldn't but I had the smallest glimmer of hope it would. You see, I've been very sick for a long time Katie, and it's not that you've failed to see that, it's just that I've been very good at hiding it from you. Mentally, we both know you're not in the most stable state which is why I wouldn't dare tell you of this illness that has fallen upon me. Instead, I'm letting you enjoy your life as much as you can before you decide to take your own once you discover I'm dead. You're a fragile, fragile girl. And we must be very careful of you because that makes you a target. A target for heartbreak, and many more. You mustn't fall apart because of my sudden departure, you must stay together and build yourself as a strong person, make me proud.

I know you're angry at me for keeping such things from you and the family, however I felt you didn't deserve to live with the burden of knowing that I would soon die. Although dying unexpectedly is just as bad.

What I'm trying to say is that I love you Katie. And I always have. You're my little princess and you always will be, whether I'm there physically or not, my love is endless for you. You cannot give up your life because of me, or anyone for that matter. You are worth so much more than you think you are, and hopefully soon enough you'll begin to realise that as you get better. Because you will. However, I won't be there to see or experience it, and as much as that saddens me it warms my heart to know that you'll be ok without me.

I love you so much my precious flower, do me proud on this earth and carry on the Darlington-Simmons legacy. You are much more than you think you are, remember that.

Love from,

Your father, Harold Simmons.